Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Self-assigned IP on MacBook Pro after wake from sleep

I have a MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021) running Monterey 12.4. I'm using a Sinstar USB C adapter to connect an ethernet cable between the laptop and the router. Every time the laptop goes to sleep, when it wakes up again the 'USB 10/100/1000 LAN 2' connection reverts back to 'Self Assigned IP', and the only solution that works consistently is to reboot the computer. Which I would prefer not to have to do every time I come back after a brief absence.

I have tried the following things to attempt to resolve it without rebooting:

• Unplug/replug ethernet cable

• Renew DHCP lease

• Delete these files from /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/ and restart

• com.apple.airport.preferences.plist

• com.apple.network.identification.plist

• NeworkInterfaces.plist

(restart fixes the issue temporarily, but next time laptop goes to sleep and wakes up again it's back)

• Reset firewall

• Modify hardware settings as described in this thread: https://origin-discussions-us.apple.com/thread/253917772

Any other ideas for troubleshooting? Why does this happen, is there something I can do to prevent it?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Jul 17, 2022 3:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 17, 2022 3:16 PM

Maybe when setting the sleep and wake settings:

When the “Wake for network access” checkbox is selected, your Mac wakes at the following times:

• When a user at another computer accesses your computer’s shared resources.
  • At regular intervals so that your Mac can notify other computers on the network that its resources are available.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 17, 2022 3:16 PM in response to rg_1

Maybe when setting the sleep and wake settings:

When the “Wake for network access” checkbox is selected, your Mac wakes at the following times:

• When a user at another computer accesses your computer’s shared resources.
  • At regular intervals so that your Mac can notify other computers on the network that its resources are available.

Self-assigned IP on MacBook Pro after wake from sleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.