Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Recovery of Big Sur On Mac Book Failure

I am trying to do a reinstall if Big Sur on my Mac Book Pro and am consistently run into the message “An error occurred migrating user data during an install. Reinstall macOS to resolve the issue”.

Every time I try again it continues to give me this error.

anyone have a resolution to this?

Thanks!

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Jul 19, 2022 3:22 AM

8 replies

Jul 19, 2022 6:29 AM in response to Darckes

How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support (CA)

Follow these guidelines during installation:

• If the installer asks to unlock your disk, enter the password you use to log in to your Mac.
  • If the installer doesn't see your disk, or it says that it can't install on your computer or volume, you might need to erase your disk first.
  • If the installer offers you the choice between installing on Macintosh HD or Macintosh HD - Data, choose Macintosh HD.

Jul 19, 2022 1:28 PM in response to Darckes

Apologies, you should try with Option+Command+R, without holding the Shift key. Holding the Shift key will install the earliest available version for your Mac. Option+Command+R will install the latest available version for your Mac.

As stated by P. Phillips, you should also erase your disk first using Disk Utility, and keep your Time Machine drive disconnected until after macOS has installed. During Setup Assistant, connect your Time Machine backup to restore.

Jul 19, 2022 4:52 AM in response to Darckes

Q - " I am trying to do a reinstall if Big Sur on my Mac Book Pro and am consistently run into the message “An error occurred migrating user data during an install. Reinstall macOS to resolve the issue”.

A - Is the computer attached to a Time Machine Backup Drive during this procedure ?

A - From the wording of the error message, it appears to be the case

A - Somewhere around Catalina macOS 10.5 ? - Time Machine Backup does not include a Full Pervious Installation of the Operating System.

A - It would require, as per previous posting, to Reinstall the Operating System and then use TM Backup to Migrate from the TM Backup Drive

Jul 19, 2022 1:44 PM in response to bumbleben0

Thank you both for your help. I did need to erase the hard drive first and then was able to complete the restore.

Unfortunately the original issue that I encountered where my wifi says it is connect but there is no internet is still there after all of this. Even though the wifi connection through the restore process worked just fine. Onto additional research to determine why after safari update on my MacBook I can no longer access the internet via any WiFi.

Jul 19, 2022 2:16 PM in response to Darckes

There are certain inherent issues when using a Time Machine Backup to Restore after a clean installation.

Issues that may have exist when the TM Backup was performed ( when the issue existed )will be migrated to the New Installation

This would badly pollute the new Pristine installation of the new OS.

Effectively negating all the previous " Erase and Reinstallation ".

Have found that using TM Backup and using Setup Assist on the First Startup after the reinstallation. Choosing Only to Restore the User Account and nothing more is a more assured way to avoid such issues

Recovery of Big Sur On Mac Book Failure

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.