You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Brand New MacBook Pro - Can't Play mp4 files

I have a 2020 M1 chip MacBook Pro and cannot play mp4 video files using Quick Time Player. I understood that I wouldn't need any additional software to do this? Does anyone have a solution? There's nothing helpful on the Apple Support pages.

Posted on Jul 20, 2022 7:16 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 20, 2022 7:40 AM

Thanks neuroanatomist.

The video plays no with no issues on other non-Apple devices (I work in a predominantly Windows office environment and everyone else can open the file ok). I was sent the .mp4 file via a large file transfer link (not copied from another computer).

.mov files play fine through Quick Time Player, so I really don't know why this is happening with the .mp4 files.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 20, 2022 7:40 AM in response to neuroanatomist

Thanks neuroanatomist.

The video plays no with no issues on other non-Apple devices (I work in a predominantly Windows office environment and everyone else can open the file ok). I was sent the .mp4 file via a large file transfer link (not copied from another computer).

.mov files play fine through Quick Time Player, so I really don't know why this is happening with the .mp4 files.

Jul 20, 2022 7:22 AM in response to djwatt

See: If an audio or video file doesn't play on Mac

FWIW, my 16" M1 Pro has no trouble playing .mp4 video files. Possibly a problem with the source file(s) – have you confirmed the video(s) play on other devices? Also, note that DRM-protected content will not play unless you have digital rights (e.g. if you copied over an MP4 movie from another computer, the Mac you're trying to play it on must be Authorized with the Apple ID used to download the movie originally, see Authorize or deauthorize your computer for iTunes Store purchases).

Brand New MacBook Pro - Can't Play mp4 files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.