Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Change default name on files saved to desktop?

Hi!

Is there a way to change, what seems to be the default name, for files saved to the desktop? Whatever I try to name them it switches back to the name Picture1.pdf , picture1.jpg etc. I have hundreds of them and would prefer to be able to rename them already on the desktop and not just in files like "Documents".

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jul 21, 2022 4:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 21, 2022 6:56 AM

I can only think of two reasons why such an odd behavior is happening?

a) some software conflict, as could be caused, as already suggested, by some “cleaning” software;

b) you may have inadvertently added a “Folder Action” to the Desktop, and this automatically renames files.

In this case, my money is on b)

Launch Folder Actions Setup, and see if there is a folder action associated with the Desktop folder.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 21, 2022 6:56 AM in response to tenguzame

I can only think of two reasons why such an odd behavior is happening?

a) some software conflict, as could be caused, as already suggested, by some “cleaning” software;

b) you may have inadvertently added a “Folder Action” to the Desktop, and this automatically renames files.

In this case, my money is on b)

Launch Folder Actions Setup, and see if there is a folder action associated with the Desktop folder.

Change default name on files saved to desktop?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.