Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Google Authentication in Internet Accounts

I have Monterey (12.4) and have a similar problem to others, namely Gmail accounts not working with Apple Mail..

However, during one of the proposed solutions of deleting and then adding back a Gmail account, I discovered that in System Preferences / Internet Accounts, I can't do that. When I start to add the account by hitting Google, it gives me the "Google requires completing authentication in your web browser" and then when I try to "Open Browser" I get the Authentication Failed message.

NOTE that I NEVER GOT to point of specifying an account to be "authenticated", Internet Accounts simply did not work with Google at all.

iMac 27″, macOS 12.4

Posted on Jul 21, 2022 6:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 24, 2022 8:44 AM

So, since the problem went away in Safe mode but returned when in normal mode, I decided to try removing Kaspersky Internet Security. That fixed it, so either the base software or the extensions in Safari and Chrome were the culprit.

Similar questions

8 replies

Jul 21, 2022 7:31 AM in response to DonMatt

DonMatt wrote:

I have Monterey (12.4) and have a similar problem to others, namely Gmail accounts not working with Apple Mail..
However, during one of the proposed solutions of deleting and then adding back a Gmail account, I discovered that in System Preferences / Internet Accounts, I can't do that. When I start to add the account by hitting Google, it gives me the "Google requires completing authentication in your web browser" and then when I try to "Open Browser" I get the Authentication Failed message.

NOTE that I NEVER GOT to point of specifying an account to be "authenticated", Internet Accounts simply did not work with Google at all.

Temporarily change your default browser back to Safari— and compare your results re: gmail issue

Make Safari your default web browser on Mac - Apple Support

Jul 24, 2022 9:03 AM in response to DonMatt

DonMatt wrote:

So, since the problem went away in Safe mode but returned when in normal mode, I decided to try removing Kaspersky Internet Security. That fixed it, so either the base software or the extensions in Safari and Chrome were the culprit.

Thanks for your follow up post DonMatt, and providing one more example of why it is often touted—

Third party AntiVirus is not recommended— it typically does nothing but add issues to the macOS and competes directly with Apple’s own built in security:

macOS - Security - Apple  macOS - Security - Apple

Apple Platform Security - Apple Apple Platform Security - Apple Support

Protecting against malware in macOS - Protecting against malware in macOS - Apple Support

Jul 21, 2022 9:12 AM in response to leroydouglas

My default browser is Safari. However, I've tried the change to Chrome (failure continued), then change back to Safari.

I am still unable to add a new Google account to Internet Accounts.

However, I was able to fix my Mail issues (at least for now). I shut down then turned back on, went back into Mail and got one account authenticated. Failed on second account. I shut down / turned on again, went back in and got a second account authenticated. However, when I shut down / turned on yet again, I was unable to ever get my last account (with two-factor authentication) going. Since I wasn't using it much anymore, I deleted it.

I worry that with Internet Accounts having some Google issue, this fix won't last long, and still have no idea why I can't add the first account I deleted back as a Google account.

Jul 21, 2022 10:48 AM in response to DonMatt

Sadly, as I suspected, the "fix" was brief. I'm back to not receiving mail on the two accounts that I previously authenticated and got some mail through.

Internet Accounts issues pop-ups for me to enter password on the two remaining (and no longer working accounts), but will not open a browser before "failing to authenticate, try again later".

Jul 22, 2022 10:43 AM in response to Mal-S

Thanks, but won't work. You are thinking that it is related to mail. It is NOT. Internet Accounts won't let Google work, that is, when I try to add a Google account, it rejects it prior to ever having an account to authenticate. That is why my brief "fix" didn't last - Internet Accounts came along and wanted "Google Password Required", but it never opens the browser.

So, put another way, Internet Accounts won't open a browser, neither Safari nor Chrome, in order to truly try a password for authentication. So, it will never get to the point where I can add enter an 'app specific password' or any other password for that matter.

Google Authentication in Internet Accounts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.