Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After calibrating BenQ SW270C external monitor my Mac thinks I now have two of them

After a routine calibration of my BenQ SW270C monitor, the colors are terrible, all washed out, and System Preferences now lists two different external monitors called SW 270C. Three screens show up in "monitor settings". . . I have the 16" M1 Max with 64GB memory and 2TB SSD. .Restart did nothing and afraid to do anything else. Any thoughts?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.3

Posted on Jul 21, 2022 7:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 23, 2022 9:31 AM

Hello tripletwenty,

We would like to see how we can help you with your external monitor showing more than once in System Preferences. Was the display washed out before calibrating the display? Have you had a chance to disconnect the external display from the monitor and then restart? If you then connect the display with the steps in this link, does the issue return: Connect a display to your Mac - Apple Support

Does the same thing occur in safe mode? How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

"Safe mode prevents your Mac from loading certain software as it starts up, including login items, system extensions not required by macOS, and fonts not installed by macOS. It also does a basic check of your startup disk, similar to using First Aid in Disk Utility. And it deletes some system caches, including font caches and the kernel cache, which are automatically created again as needed.

Safe mode is particularly useful when you're trying to resolve an issue that doesn't seem to be associated with using any particular app. As always, keeping your software up to date is the first step toward resolving any software issue."

These steps can help narrow things down.

Cheers!

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 23, 2022 9:31 AM in response to tripletwenty

Hello tripletwenty,

We would like to see how we can help you with your external monitor showing more than once in System Preferences. Was the display washed out before calibrating the display? Have you had a chance to disconnect the external display from the monitor and then restart? If you then connect the display with the steps in this link, does the issue return: Connect a display to your Mac - Apple Support

Does the same thing occur in safe mode? How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

"Safe mode prevents your Mac from loading certain software as it starts up, including login items, system extensions not required by macOS, and fonts not installed by macOS. It also does a basic check of your startup disk, similar to using First Aid in Disk Utility. And it deletes some system caches, including font caches and the kernel cache, which are automatically created again as needed.

Safe mode is particularly useful when you're trying to resolve an issue that doesn't seem to be associated with using any particular app. As always, keeping your software up to date is the first step toward resolving any software issue."

These steps can help narrow things down.

Cheers!

Jul 24, 2022 8:06 AM in response to tripletwenty

tripletwenty,

Thanks for those details. Those sound like some great next steps. You may also want to try a new user account on your Mac to see if the issue could be related to a setting or corruption on your account.

Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac

Delete a user or group on Mac (to remove the test account once completed)Reach back out if we can be of more assistance.

Take care.

Jul 23, 2022 1:11 PM in response to Matthew.S81

Thanks Matt, I appreciate your help! The display looked OK before calibration - but it showed a message saying it needed to be calibrated. I did disconnect, shut down and reconnect, but the extra monitor remained in system preferences. I tried it again this morning - shut down, reboot and reconnect, and not the extra monitor is gone, but the actual monitor colors look awful. I am going to get in touch with BenQ as I think this is sounding more and more like a problem with the monitor software. Before I do that I am going to reboot in safe mode, just to see what happens. Thank you for your time and excellent advice!

Allan

After calibrating BenQ SW270C external monitor my Mac thinks I now have two of them

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.