Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Want to create playlist on Mac for iPhone

I used to be able to plug my phone into my Mac and create a playlist in iTunes for my iPhone on the Mac. This is my own music that I have recorded - not downloaded from Apple Music.

Now, that option doesn't seem to exist. How do I create a playlist on my Mac from mp3s I have created, and have them show up on my phone without syncing the whole library?

I want to manually manage all my music.

iPhone 13 Pro, iOS 15

Posted on Jul 22, 2022 12:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 23, 2022 4:44 AM

In case anyone reads this, I found the answer after chatting with an Apple support person.

A couple of things made it work. 1 - I had to make sure I checked "manage manually" in the phone's profile. 2 - before I could create a new playlist, I had to click on "all playlists". Then I could create a playlist and then drag it into my phone.

It's still not as flexible as the old iTunes system where I could see and edit my phone's playlists through the Mac/ITunes GUI. But at least I can now get my playlists put on my phone without having to fumble one song at a time on the phone itself.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 23, 2022 4:44 AM in response to LHall

In case anyone reads this, I found the answer after chatting with an Apple support person.

A couple of things made it work. 1 - I had to make sure I checked "manage manually" in the phone's profile. 2 - before I could create a new playlist, I had to click on "all playlists". Then I could create a playlist and then drag it into my phone.

It's still not as flexible as the old iTunes system where I could see and edit my phone's playlists through the Mac/ITunes GUI. But at least I can now get my playlists put on my phone without having to fumble one song at a time on the phone itself.

Want to create playlist on Mac for iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.