Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Motion title font keeps changing back to default in Final Cut Pro

I have a simple Motion title based on Lower Third Basic that I altered and saved as a new Title. Part of my change is to change the font (I did not publish the font, so it can't be altered in FCP).

When I use it in FCP, it looks fine and uses the font I chose, but upon Export, the font defaults to the font from the Lower Third Basic title. Also, if I restart FCP, ALL instances of this title in my Project reset to the default font. The font I am using is EurostileExtended, which is a pretty mainstream font.

This is driving me crazy! Something that looks one way in my Project should not be drastically altered upon export. This feels like a bug that should have been squashed ten years ago.

Any advice?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jul 22, 2022 4:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 22, 2022 4:45 PM

Ok... as a general rule... any parameter that is part of a Rig cannot be changed in FCPX (even if you can change it temporarily in the storyline).

Specifically, Lower Third Basic has the font it uses (Helvetica Neue Bold) in a Pop up Menu widget (Title Style in particular). All you need to do is right click on that parameter and Remove from Widget Title Style. Double check the font of your text to make sure it is still what you want. Save it again.

Back in FCPX, select the title in the storyline that breaks and double click on the newly saved version of it. It should update the storyline title with the updated version without having to re-do the text you've already applied.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 22, 2022 4:45 PM in response to cableguy3166

Ok... as a general rule... any parameter that is part of a Rig cannot be changed in FCPX (even if you can change it temporarily in the storyline).

Specifically, Lower Third Basic has the font it uses (Helvetica Neue Bold) in a Pop up Menu widget (Title Style in particular). All you need to do is right click on that parameter and Remove from Widget Title Style. Double check the font of your text to make sure it is still what you want. Save it again.

Back in FCPX, select the title in the storyline that breaks and double click on the newly saved version of it. It should update the storyline title with the updated version without having to re-do the text you've already applied.

Jul 22, 2022 5:11 PM in response to cableguy3166

There's actually quite a lot that has to do with Motion that is only learned by experience — and/or people sharing what they've been able to find out by trial and error. Some of these kinds of details don't appear in the documentation (to my knowledge). Don't trash your Motion skills for this! And, from here on out, any time you customize a template and it doesn't work right away— you'll know exactly where to look first!

Motion title font keeps changing back to default in Final Cut Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.