Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New Macbook Air M2 died after 1 day

My son just bought a new MacBook Air M2. He moved all his data from his old MacBook Pro and erased his old drive to get a trade in for it. The next day the MacBook Air dies. It would not start up and simply gave a message to contact Apple support. We tried to revive or even restore the new machine using Apple's Configurator 2 resource from a different working USB-connected MacBook Pro. That failed too. We took the machine to local tech store and they determined the SSD was bad and a new logic board was required, and all his data lost. Of course new logic boards are unavailable for new machines so they had to order a replacement.

Of course Apple is covering under warranty, but my son would be left without a machine had he completed his trade in. I expect it to be two weeks before the replacement will get here because of backlogs.

Lessons here: (1) the Apple SSD can fail in the first 24 hours (my son's did) - this was a 512 sized unit - not a 256. (2) My son learned a lesson on the importance of backup. ll his data is lost. In the past, when he replaced an old laptop, I took care of everything for him. He assumed once new machine was working, there was no need to keep copy of data on old machine or anywhere else. The only saving grace for him is that his documents, photos, email, texts, music etc are in the cloud too.

But the M2 machine is a brick when the SSD fails.

Posted on Jul 23, 2022 8:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 2, 2022 12:32 AM

Just got my MacBook Air M2, my first ever. My husband got his a week ago. Tonight, we opened it at the same time. After I login, it asked for computer name and password. I was typing for the password hint and the screen went dark. Thought it lost power. Then, the screen flashed with the circle with exclamation point in it and the apple support link.

Best believe my excitement is nada. I’ve read that this is RARE. I’m replying to this post to add to this *rarity*.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 2, 2022 12:32 AM in response to pgershon

Just got my MacBook Air M2, my first ever. My husband got his a week ago. Tonight, we opened it at the same time. After I login, it asked for computer name and password. I was typing for the password hint and the screen went dark. Thought it lost power. Then, the screen flashed with the circle with exclamation point in it and the apple support link.

Best believe my excitement is nada. I’ve read that this is RARE. I’m replying to this post to add to this *rarity*.

Aug 2, 2022 12:43 AM in response to arhatley

My son has been waiting for weeks since this happened and still has no machine. Apple, in their infinite cheap dom, refused to send him a new machine until they received the old one back, and then he was put into a two week cue for the replacement. Apple would not even start the reorder process until they got the machine back.

And this is because he agreed to do Apple a "favor". He brought the machine to a local authorized Apple dealer who was going to order replacement immediately. But Apple had a particular interest on the case and asked him to go back to the dealer, get the machine, and then send to Apple for further examination.

At no point did Apple express concern or offer compensation for what will end up being a month without a machine. Hardly seems like the wonderful company Apple is made out to be. OK, defects happen. But why subject him to the long cue for replacement?

New Macbook Air M2 died after 1 day

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.