Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Escape Key stopped working. How do I reset it? (MacOS Monterey 12.4)

My Escape Key stopped working. This happened once before and I called support and they had me kill some process to restart it. Does anyone know what process? Or must I call them again?

Control-[ also doesn't work (in Emacs in Terminal). But these don't work in other apps as well.

I don't think it has anything to do with my machine type, but it's an M1 machine, a Macbook Air, and I'm running MacOS Monterey 12.4.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.4

Posted on Jul 24, 2022 11:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 24, 2022 11:37 AM

RazzMagic wrote:

My Escape Key stopped working. This happened once before and I called support and they had me kill some process to restart it. Does anyone know what process? Or must I call them again?

Control-[ also doesn't work (in Emacs in Terminal). But these don't work in other apps as well.

I don't think it has anything to do with my machine type, but it's an M1 machine, a Macbook Air, and I'm running MacOS Monterey 12.4.

did you try rebooting the machine..

if no resolve I would try a safeboot on the M1

SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support will sort many anomalies

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 24, 2022 11:37 AM in response to RazzMagic

RazzMagic wrote:

did you try rebooting the machine..

if no resolve I would try a safeboot on the M1

SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support will sort many anomalies

Jul 24, 2022 12:48 PM in response to leroydouglas

Thanks, but no. Yes, reboot is possible, but that's a hassle. As I said, there was just one process to kill and restart. (It wasn't the finder- I tried that and it didn't fix it.)

But just now, I saw that MacOS 12.5 is ready, so I installed that including a reboot. Hopefully I won't see the problem again.

If it happens again with 12.5, I'll call support and update this...

My Escape Key stopped working. How do I reset it? (MacOS Monterey 12.4)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.