Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Family Sharing

Can I approve purchases and other family administrative things from a non-Apple device? I had family sharing working for my son's phone when I had an iPhone. Now I don't have another Apple device.

Posted on Jul 25, 2022 4:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 25, 2022 6:02 AM

You need an Apple device. You said you do not use your old iPhone as your phone but did you discard it? If you still possess your old iPhone you can use it via Wi-Fi - if you have a Wi-Fi network - as your iCloud device to administer your Family Sharing network. This would include Ask To Buy.

If you have another adult in your group it is also possible to transfer Ask To Buy to them. Approve what kids buy with Ask to Buy says: The family organiser can give another parent or guardian in the group over the age of 18 permission to manage Ask to Buy requests. Only one adult needs to manage each purchase, and after it's been completed, the purchase is final.

Again, this requires an Apple device to achieve the transfer.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 25, 2022 6:02 AM in response to adrignola

You need an Apple device. You said you do not use your old iPhone as your phone but did you discard it? If you still possess your old iPhone you can use it via Wi-Fi - if you have a Wi-Fi network - as your iCloud device to administer your Family Sharing network. This would include Ask To Buy.

If you have another adult in your group it is also possible to transfer Ask To Buy to them. Approve what kids buy with Ask to Buy says: The family organiser can give another parent or guardian in the group over the age of 18 permission to manage Ask to Buy requests. Only one adult needs to manage each purchase, and after it's been completed, the purchase is final.

Again, this requires an Apple device to achieve the transfer.

Family Sharing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.