Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacOS - Maps app keeps asking for location every 5 minutes when not running?

Hello,

I'm using MacOS 12.4 on my new MacBook Pro 16".

I noticed on my menu bar that the Maps app, while it is not running, keeps checking my location every 5 minutes. I click on the location arrow in the menu bar, and every time it says it's Maps using the location services. I've confirmed the app is not running via the dock and the force quit menu.

I like the Maps app, and would prefer to use it over other alternatives. However, as I am a bit of privacy nut, it concerns me. Unfortunately, unlike iOS, there doesn't seem to be any option to only allow the app to search for my location while using the app.

I can't see any reason why the Maps app would need to check for my location every 5 minutes. Any idea why this would be this case?

I use the app a couple of times per week. It would be really inconvenient to manually enable location services for the app in the system preferences every time I want to use the app, but I don't see any alternatives at the moment, other than simply using google maps or another alternative.

Any suggestions are welcome. Thank you for your time reading about my relatively silly issue.

Posted on Jul 25, 2022 9:13 AM

9 replies

MacOS - Maps app keeps asking for location every 5 minutes when not running?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.