Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dragging files with mouse in Monterey

I am using a mouse with Monteret and cannot drag and drop. I drag a file but instead of dropping, it makes a copy in the new location...the original location still has a copy of the files...

MacBook Air

Posted on Jul 25, 2022 3:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 25, 2022 3:59 PM

FWIW, whether a copy is made or not depends on where you are dragging to. If you are dragging to an external drive, it will make a copy. If it's just to another folder on the same volume, no copy.

What I find easiest is, select the file, press Command+C, navigate to where you want the file, press Command+Option+V. It makes no difference if it's to an external drive or the same volume.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 25, 2022 3:59 PM in response to RKempton

FWIW, whether a copy is made or not depends on where you are dragging to. If you are dragging to an external drive, it will make a copy. If it's just to another folder on the same volume, no copy.

What I find easiest is, select the file, press Command+C, navigate to where you want the file, press Command+Option+V. It makes no difference if it's to an external drive or the same volume.

Dragging files with mouse in Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.