Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Your administrator requires that you enable FileVault

How can I bypass this?

It is my machine MacBook Pro 2013, I think; cannot check it as I do not want to enable it not knowing the consequences :).

I am not sure I did this or how, but I would not want to enable it, again about the side effects.

Thank you

Posted on Jul 26, 2022 8:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 26, 2022 8:45 AM

FileVault is Apple's disk encryption:

Use FileVault to encrypt the startup disk on your Mac - Apple Support

It's a good idea to use it no matter what, and the overhead is light.

If you're seeing a message that your administrator requires it and you cannot bypass it, that indicates your Mac is enrolled in an MDM program (mobile device management), which are typically used by organizations/institutions that provide Macs to their employees. If that's the case, you need to contact whoever you got the Mac from and have them unenroll the computer from MDM.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 26, 2022 8:45 AM in response to zeno33

FileVault is Apple's disk encryption:

Use FileVault to encrypt the startup disk on your Mac - Apple Support

It's a good idea to use it no matter what, and the overhead is light.

If you're seeing a message that your administrator requires it and you cannot bypass it, that indicates your Mac is enrolled in an MDM program (mobile device management), which are typically used by organizations/institutions that provide Macs to their employees. If that's the case, you need to contact whoever you got the Mac from and have them unenroll the computer from MDM.

Jul 29, 2022 1:06 PM in response to zeno33

zeno33 wrote:

Yes, as I'd already mentioned in a previous post:

I could un-enroll the device myself but would it make a difference? The message would not disappear as I'd have to be logged in and connected to Internet so the unenrollment to be taken into consideration.

Options:

• Un-supervise the Mac; remove it from device management.
  • alter the device encryption requirements for the supervised Mac from within device management
  • encrypt
  • discontinue use

You will need the cooperation of whoever is supervising the Mac for the first two options.

Aug 13, 2022 8:19 AM in response to neuroanatomist

How it was solved, perhaps it will be useful for other people:

So what I did:

1. un-enrolled the Mac
  2. powered up the Mac and voila the pop-up window to enable FileVault no longer showed up

This way I found out that the Mac connects to internet w/o being logged in (otherwise how would have the machine known about the un-enrollment so no need to display it). I would have thought that only after the user logs in the machine connects to internet.

Jul 26, 2022 7:59 PM in response to neuroanatomist

I set it to 'Solved' but I should have left it to 'Helpful' :), cannot seem to remove Solved' :).

Help Desk seems not to be able to provide a solution.

I could unenroll the device myself, but would it make a difference? The message would not disappear as I'd have to be logged in and connected to Internet so the unenrollment to be taken into consideration.

Jul 29, 2022 8:16 AM in response to zeno33

zeno33 wrote:

You will need to clear the supervision here
You mean to unenroll the device?

You will either need to enable encryption as is being required here and probably for good reason, or you will need to have the organization supervising this device remove it from their device management and from access to whatever app or environment is involved.

Your administrator requires that you enable FileVault

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.