You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Shortcut to open Finder window from an app with the current file location

Hello, I have the following usescase and I find it difficult to put the problem into words and thus find something with the help of search engines.

I am in an app in OSX Monterey, 12.6 , for example in the text editor, Preview or Pages and want to switch to the Finder to continue managing the file. I would like to have a shortcut to go directly to the currently open file in the Finder folder system.

Currently I have to do it manually: I have a PDF open in Preview and want to select it as a file in the Finder. To do this, I have to switch to the Finder and then look for the folder containing the file I am currently editing in the app. It often happens that I can't remember which folder the file is in. So I switch back to the app and look for the location in Finder via File >> Move to..., then switch back to Finder and click through the folder structure.

I do this several times a day and it takes up unnecessary time. A simple command from the app and a Finder window could open directly and show the file. Does anyone have a solution?

Posted on Jul 27, 2022 5:16 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 27, 2022 5:33 AM

This is something that has been in the Mac since there is a Mac, or at least for decades:

Command-Click the title of your window and select the enclosing folder, and Boom! There you are...

EDIT: And of course dialabrain beat me to it 😎

Similar questions

5 replies

Shortcut to open Finder window from an app with the current file location

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.