Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can TV remain OFF while soundbar plays audio from iPhone via Airplay 1/2 to Apple TV (pass-through via HDMI to TV)?

Hello! Here's to my first question to the Apple community!

Can my TV remain OFF while my soundbar plays audio from my iPhone 12 via Airplay 1/2 to my Apple TV?

Here's my setup/story:

1. My hardware: TCL55 4K TV (from 2018), Sony HT-CT370 soundbar (from 2014), and Apple TV A1625 (from 2015).
  2. My setup: Apple TV is plugged into HDMI IN on soundbar; TV is plugged into HDMI OUT on soundbar, both having HDMI ARC (but not eARC).
  3. When I Airplay to my Apple TV from my iPhone 12, the audio correctly plays from the soundbar, but my TV turns on and the Apple TV displays the track info.
  4. I'm looking to Airplay to my Apple TV and have the Apple TV play the audio (obviously) to my soundbar, BUT would like the TV to remain OFF (!!)
  5. Is this possible with my current setup? Are there Airplay/audio settings on my Apple TV that will allow for this "TV remains OFF while Apple TV "airplays" to soundbar"?
  6. This was the closest discussion thread I could find, but it wasn't an answer for my current setup: Apple TV as music source without a displa… - Apple Community
  7. (NOTE: Obviously, this is a YMMV question based on everyone's specific hardware, but IMO this is a standard question for any hardware that is more/less "current", aka having HDMI ARC. And, obviously, yes I can go spend $100-200 on a new/used soundbar that is Airplay 1/2 compatible, but then that just keeps the ever unsustainable train running!)

I apologize if this is still a riddle to you readers! Any help is appreciated! Thanks! Paul

Posted on Jul 27, 2022 6:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 28, 2022 9:47 AM

The functionality that describe and wish for, is beyond the control of the connected media player (Apple TV box in this case). It depends on how those other HDMI devices (TV, soundbar) react to it. When the Apple TV box wakes, and has CEC activated, then other connected HDMI devices (TV, soundbar) would likely wake as well. If you turn off (set to standby) the TV, then that may turn off (set to standby) other HDMI devices as well.

You could perhaps deactivate CEC on all applicable devices, but then you would also loose the CEC functionality that is desirable (e.g. wake, sleep, auto input selection if multiple HDMI devices). CEC doesn’t allow for detailed configuration, just On|Off, and with the functionality that the manufacturer implemented (i.e. it might be different for a different TV).

Consumer Electronics Control - Wikipedia

Control your TV or receiver with your Apple TV Remote (or not) - Apple Support

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 28, 2022 9:47 AM in response to pduves

The functionality that describe and wish for, is beyond the control of the connected media player (Apple TV box in this case). It depends on how those other HDMI devices (TV, soundbar) react to it. When the Apple TV box wakes, and has CEC activated, then other connected HDMI devices (TV, soundbar) would likely wake as well. If you turn off (set to standby) the TV, then that may turn off (set to standby) other HDMI devices as well.

You could perhaps deactivate CEC on all applicable devices, but then you would also loose the CEC functionality that is desirable (e.g. wake, sleep, auto input selection if multiple HDMI devices). CEC doesn’t allow for detailed configuration, just On|Off, and with the functionality that the manufacturer implemented (i.e. it might be different for a different TV).

Consumer Electronics Control - Wikipedia

Control your TV or receiver with your Apple TV Remote (or not) - Apple Support

Jul 29, 2022 8:34 PM in response to Urquhart1244

Thanks for your reply!

Follow-up question(s)...

1. Would my desired setup be possible with an Apple TV (3rd Gen; model #s A1427 or A1469) using its "optical digital audio port" via connection directly to my soundbar (which has an optical audio IN)?
  2. Does the optical out port have the ability to turn on my soundbar when asked to AirPlay?

Thanks, again!

Can TV remain OFF while soundbar plays audio from iPhone via Airplay 1/2 to Apple TV (pass-through via HDMI to TV)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.