Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My backup Time Machine Seagate 1T is not showing any "size" for the backup it says it did...?

Why is my backup drive not showing any size of the backup it just completed? The drive is 1T and I backed up my 500GB MacBookPro. When I chose one file to drop into it, it shows how many GBs...

iMac Pro

Posted on Jul 28, 2022 9:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 29, 2022 3:31 AM

"When I chose one file to drop into it". What does this mean?

Once a TM dataset is complete, you don't simply drop files into it, you rerun TM to pick up recent additions and changes. Doing any kind of file manipulation within the TM dataset, with Finder for instance, can damage it. And if that's what you did I go with damage.

At this point I'd erase the TM drive and start all over.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 29, 2022 3:31 AM in response to Diffangled

"When I chose one file to drop into it". What does this mean?

Once a TM dataset is complete, you don't simply drop files into it, you rerun TM to pick up recent additions and changes. Doing any kind of file manipulation within the TM dataset, with Finder for instance, can damage it. And if that's what you did I go with damage.

At this point I'd erase the TM drive and start all over.

Jul 29, 2022 4:27 AM in response to Diffangled

Very much agree with previous reply.

Mucking around on the TM Backup drive by Dropping a file onto the drive - is a semi certain way to Corrupt the Index File TM Backup Utilities requires to keep track of all changes.

This could have very bad consequences including losing ALL the TM Backups presently on the drive.

My backup Time Machine Seagate 1T is not showing any "size" for the backup it says it did...?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.