Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud on and off. The never ending search for understanding where photos are.

I have an iPhone 11. I am constantly befuddled by the iCloud/ and the photos I wish to sync on my photos app on the computer. Alas, here is the question currently.

I would like to turn iCloud off on the phone so that I can manually sync and delete and organize some photos on the computer and phone.

If I turn iCloud off, it says that 38K photos will be deleted from the phone, I don't have the storage to download them onto the phone. I don't quite understand why all the photos are in the cloud, and none can be saved to the phone.

None the less, the question is. If I do in fact turn it off and delete from the phone. If I turn it back on will I be able to turn it back on, with all the items in the cloud, and will it keep the folders/albums or would I have to start all over organizing them?

The never ending mystery.

Thanks

iPhone 11, iOS 14

Posted on Jul 29, 2022 10:44 AM

Similar questions

8 replies

Jul 30, 2022 5:56 AM in response to MissWit

iCloud serves as a synchronization service. Any changes on one device are reflected everywhere.

If you turn off iCloud Photos on your device, they will no longer sync to the cloud. Anything not currently downloaded will be deleted. If you later enable iCloud Photos on your device, it will sync with iCloud and reflect any changes that you made.

Keep in mind, you always want to keep a backup of your photos as iCloud is not true offline storage. Make sure you have Time Machine (or similar) enabled to backup.

iCloud on and off. The never ending search for understanding where photos are.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.