Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Erase data, not apps to give away MacBookPro

Most of the instructions I am finding are for completely wiping the hard drive, but I want to gift my 2019 MacBook Pro to a friend. I max'd out at HighSierra OS10.13.6, so recently upgraded. Can someone point me to directions for erasing the personal data, passwords and other access bits, but leaving the programs and essential system files intact? Thank you!

Posted on Jul 29, 2022 4:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 29, 2022 4:22 PM

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support

This is the only legit method. It's not kosher to give someone third-party apps that you've installed.

8 replies

Jul 29, 2022 5:43 PM in response to msellenr

In addition to the legal issues which @dialabrain has mentioned, any apps installed from the App Store will be tied to your AppleID. This means when your friend goes to install updates, those apps won't be updated. It will make a confusing mess for your friend and opens up the system to vulnerabilities since those apps won't be patched.

Personally I would never want a computer (or any device) which has not been securely wiped and have the OS reinstalled fresh.

Erase data, not apps to give away MacBookPro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.