Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone camera blue dot

What is the blue dot on the right side of my iPhone Camera? It looks greenish in this photo but it is actually blue. It is steady, not blinking, and is there whether the camera is in either regular or selfie views. Camera access for all my apps is turned off.

iPhone 6s, iOS 15

Posted on Jul 30, 2022 7:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 30, 2022 7:58 PM

The screen you’re showing is the Camera app.

The Camera app is inherently using the camera.

Are you seeing the green dot when an app other than the Camera app is active?

Status icons and symbols on your iPhone - Apple Support

7 replies

Jul 30, 2022 7:20 PM in response to Human_KIND3

Under privacy tab not location. Although I have found that you need to turn the location on well looking through the applications to see if they’ve requested to track you. At The bottom of the privacy tab there is an Tab that allows you to turn on or off to see which applications are tracking you. This allows you to decide if you want to allow it or not. Apple will notify you when applications or third parties or cameras and microphones and such are tracking you and you can approve or disapprove it. Also checking your battery health will show you what background applications are using your camera your microphone and more

Jul 30, 2022 9:00 PM in response to ksingernc

ksingernc wrote:

Never green, always blue. So you are saying that it just signifies that I am using the camera app. Can't say I understand the purpose of having that little light since it is obvious I am using the camera but there is probably some technical reason. You have answered my question. Thank you MrHoffman!

The green indicator signifies the camera hardware is in use, and the camera app and select other apps do use the camera hardware.

There is an orange indicator when the microphone hardware is in use, and the phone app and select other apps do use the microphone hardware.

Apple calls the indicator colors green and orange. The orange icon will show as red on some orangish screen backgrounds. I’d expect the green might also shift, depending on the background.

See the previously-linked status icons and symbols document for the Apple indicator documentation.

iPhone camera blue dot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.