Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook running HOT! UVFSService taking too much CPU%

I noticed my MacBook Pro with intel chip is running extremely hot (57-60+°C), it has always ran a little hot for my liking but the new Monterey update (12.5) is crazy.

Activity monitor shows the UVFSService is taking 30+% CPU and the battery is draining crazy fast.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.5

Posted on Aug 1, 2022 7:12 PM

10 replies

Aug 3, 2022 2:50 PM in response to Shinshu

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities, Shinshu,

If we understand your post correctly, your MacBook Pro is running hot and your battery is draining more quickly than expected. We’d like to help.

First, try these resets:

Reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

If this issue continues after those resets, let's do some testing to narrow down the issue.

Safe mode will tell us if the issue is related to a startup item or plugins, and sometimes corrects the issue. This article will tell you how:

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

If everything is working correctly in safe mode, but is not working when you get back to your user account, please check the section titled "If the issue doesn't continue in safe mode" for the next troubleshooting steps.

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. Take care.

Oct 5, 2022 9:32 AM in response to Biil_N

To look for possible software issues, run EtreCheck and post the report here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper so the contributors can check the report for any known issues.

To check the health of the iMac's drive(s), run DriveDx and post the complete text report here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper.

Try running the Apple Diagnostics to see if any hardware issues are detected.

Oct 5, 2022 5:00 AM in response to Shinshu

I've excluded Bootcamp from Spotlight searches but this problem continues to occur, it will stop for a while and then the computer will become very sluggish until I restart. I'm running Monterey 12.6 on a 2017 27" iMac, does anyone have any suggestions, I'm stumped! I attached a screenshot of the process (which isn't overloading the CPU right now), but it has a lot of CPU time. Any suggestions are appreciated!

Sep 10, 2022 7:34 AM in response to Shinshu

I have this issue too! I had to force quit the UVFSService in Activity Monitor to get my Intel MacBook Pro to become responsive. I started noticing this issue after the Monterrey 12.5 update. I do have Bootcamp installed and wonder if Spotlight is trying to index that partition. I ran `sudo mdutil -a -i` off to turn off Spotlight indexing.

Oct 15, 2022 9:01 AM in response to Biil_N

I changed the way I backup with Time Machine and it seems to have solved the problem. I backup to a QNAP NAS, TS-451D2. I was using the shared account Time Machine backup function with the NAS, and I changed it to using a designated Time Machine backup user and shared folder rather than using the shared Time Machine account (TMBackup). This seems to have made all the difference, the UVFSService issue has disappeared. Not sure if it's coincidental but the problem I've had is gone. It also seems the backups are happening more frequently and more quickly. Anyway, hope this helps someone.

MacBook running HOT! UVFSService taking too much CPU%

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.