Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen mirroring times out...

I'm using screen mirroring with MacBook Pro and iPad Pro, latest OS on both. Keep having an issue where it just turns off after only a minute or two.

1. Is there some sort of "length of time" setting that I'm missing somewhere?
  2. Is this an issue on the MacOS or the iPad OS?

Please advise.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 12.4

Posted on Aug 2, 2022 7:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 2, 2022 11:13 AM

Just a wild guess: your iPad is going to sleep, and that interrupts the screen mirroring.

Change the settings to have a longer time before it sleeps.

Also, I'd suggest you connect it using the cable, this way it will be easier and charge the iPad at the same time.

5 replies

Aug 2, 2022 11:33 AM in response to bobtem

I am not sure about that. When you use an external display, it too may go to sleep depending on its own settings, even if your mac is outputting an image to it.

Apple could certainly change the way the iPad behaves when used as an external display, but then I could also see the reverse side, with people complaining that the iPad battery was depleted because it failed to go to sleep... can't please everyone, I suppose.

Screen mirroring times out...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.