Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

System Data Taking up 128.18 GB

My macOS Monterey 12.1 shows that I have 128.18 Gig of system Data, but I cannot see what system data is included. Seems like a massive waste of space considering my HD is only 500 Gig. How can I confirm/deny this 128 Gig is stuff I don't need.

Posted on Aug 2, 2022 12:56 PM

4 replies

Aug 2, 2022 2:19 PM in response to JtothaMiz

Probably the answer the user does not what to hears but here goes

Rebuild the Spotlight index on your Mac

What is “Other” storage on a Mac, and how can I clean it out?

Free up storage space on your Mac

OmniDiskSweeper Safe to use

GrandPerspective 

How to delete Time Machine snapshots on your Mac

See used and available storage space on your Mac

Locate backups of your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Notation - If the user is using a cloning software like Carbon Copy Cloner - suggest tweaking the Safety Net Feature in this software. It may be making addition Snap Shots that are not being Cloned to the Eternal Drive. If this should be the case, these Snap Shot could be using additional space on the drive 

The final word from Apple on Managing the " Other/ System Data “ Category

Other / System Data: Contains files that don’t fall into the categories listed here. This category primarily includes files and data used by the system, such as log files, caches, VM files, and other runtime system resources. Also included are temporary files, fonts, app support files, and plug-ins. You can't manage the contents of this category. The contents are managed by macOS, and the category varies in size depending on the current state of your Mac.

Aug 2, 2022 1:24 PM in response to JtothaMiz

System data consists of all sorts of files produced by various system processes.

Try the following.

• start up in safe mode followed by a normal restart
  • force Time Machine to delete local snapshots by turning TM off in system preferences, waiting while TM deletes the local snapshots then turning it back on again.
  • it is good practice to shut down the Mac on a regular basis.

Don't be tempted to install any clean-up apps.

Aug 2, 2022 1:54 PM in response to Mal-S

Thanks so much for your kind guidance. I really appreciate it!

• I booted in safe mode, and then rebooted in regular mode & that removed about 20 GIG of junk. huge thanks!
  • The system data still shows 108.84 Gig. Is there a way to reclaim more of that? Seems like such a waste considering Mac OS is 25 Gig.
  • Time Machine "back up automatically" was unchecked when I went to look at it as I'm not using it. Do I need to take any action there?

System Data Taking up 128.18 GB

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.