Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mini (A1) Fading Sound

When using a headphone jack via my Mac mini w/ A1, there is a tone that fades in and out frequently similar to the ringing you'd hear through a short bout of tinnitus. It's subtle, but If I'm not listening to anything it is not only annoying but very noticeable.

I have not tried bluetooth, but every device I've used through the rear headphone jack (different cables included) has resulted in this pulsating fade in-out tone. I've also used different power cables and outlets in case it was an issue in power draw, but no difference.

What's interesting is that when I play a video, I hear a feint popping noise as the video/music takes over and the sound goes away. Stop the audio however, wait five or so seconds, and it's back to the same annoying repetitive fade in-out tone. I'm wondering If anyone has had the same issue, I'm leaning towards it being due to some form of interference or some sub-power cycle the Mac mini uses.

Mac mini, macOS 12.3

Posted on Aug 2, 2022 9:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 3, 2022 9:00 AM

Call won’t help, best to schedule an in-store repair appointment. They’ll check it out/repair for free. However, it’s also possible they won’t be able to duplicate the problem i.e. won’t find an issue. In the meanwhile, try moving the mini to another location/room - might fix.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 3, 2022 9:00 AM in response to Turian4

Call won’t help, best to schedule an in-store repair appointment. They’ll check it out/repair for free. However, it’s also possible they won’t be able to duplicate the problem i.e. won’t find an issue. In the meanwhile, try moving the mini to another location/room - might fix.

Mac Mini (A1) Fading Sound

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.