Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Delete files - Finder

Hi,

For some reason in my iMac 24 configuration, deleting a file in Finder is final and irreversible.

Is it possible to delete a file so the file that is deleted will be moved to the trash and the final deletion will only be when the trash is emptied?

Thanks.

Posted on Aug 3, 2022 9:57 AM

Similar questions

9 replies

Aug 3, 2022 11:23 PM in response to Barney-15E

Thanks for the quick response.

The computer is a stand-alone computer that is connected to the router on my home network.

I tried to perform the recommended operation - the system did not allow me, please refer to the attached picture.

Furthermore, my trash folder is always empty. Even when I drag a file to it the system warns me that the file will be immediately deleted and is final.

Does the Trash folder have Preferances / definitions?

Aug 3, 2022 2:43 PM in response to Alonf1

Where are the files located?

On some network (and possibly some externals), the only option is to delete immediately.

If they are in your home, the Trash folder may have incorrect permissions. Deleting it will recreate a correct Trash.

You have to remove it in Terminal with this command (copy and paste it in):

sudo rm -R ~/.Trash/

It will ask for your password, but when you type it, you won't see what you type.

Once you try to trash another file, it will recreate your Trash folder.

Aug 12, 2022 8:48 AM in response to Alonf1

Unfortunately, Barney's solution as above was helpful but it " lasted" only for a short time so I tried to repeat his instructions once again since at the time it solved the problem.

I ran the following commands:

sudo rm -R ~/.Trash/

ls -al ~/

mkdir ~/.Trash

I verified - now the Trash folder exists but still every deletion is final, i.e. not through the Trash folder.

Any idea how to resolve that problem?

Delete files - Finder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.