Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Watch is new and needs update but can’t finish pairing process because app keeps saying that the phone needs updated even though phone has the current update (15.6)

Phone has the current update (15.6) but Apple Watch app says phone software must be updated to pair with Watch, I have no idea what series it is. I've tried resetting it after pairing failed, turning off phone and then turning it back on, and tried resetting the network settings. I have no idea what else to do, and neither did the people who gave it to me, as I have been the only one in their program to report a problem. I'm not looking to get rid of the Watch, just to actually be able to use it.

I have tried this on two different iPhones, a 6S and a second generation SE, and it says the same thing on both phones. Any recommendations on how to get this to work with my SE?

iPhone SE (Gen 2)

Posted on Aug 3, 2022 3:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 3, 2022 5:42 PM

Update directly on your Apple Watch

If your Apple Watch has watchOS 6 or later, you can install subsequent updates without your iPhone:

1. Make sure that your watch is connected to Wi-Fi.
  2. On your watch, open the Settings app.
  3. Tap General > Software Update.
  4. Tap Install if a software update is available, then follow the onscreen instructions.

Update your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 3, 2022 5:42 PM in response to Kaiyn

Update directly on your Apple Watch

If your Apple Watch has watchOS 6 or later, you can install subsequent updates without your iPhone:

1. Make sure that your watch is connected to Wi-Fi.
  2. On your watch, open the Settings app.
  3. Tap General > Software Update.
  4. Tap Install if a software update is available, then follow the onscreen instructions.

Update your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Watch is new and needs update but can’t finish pairing process because app keeps saying that the phone needs updated even though phone has the current update (15.6)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.