Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Damage caused by humidity

I took my Macbook air (3 days old) to Thailand where it seems the humidity caused a keyboard issue. I am being told this isn't covered by warranty, despite there never been any liquid damage. Has anyone else dealt with this? It feels pretty unfair, given there is an Apple Store in Bangkok, where this happened!

MacBook Air Apple Silicon

Posted on Aug 5, 2022 5:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 7, 2022 7:15 AM

It's clearly stated in the tech specs the allowable ambient conditions; "Non condensing" is clearly spelled out. If that term is foreign to a potential buyer, due diligence requires the buyer research it to understand it. You agreed to the terms and conditions which signifies you understood them.

Apple can only so much to protect its products from inappropriate use with proper engineering standards, premium materials and the offer of extended warranties. No electronics maker does it better at the cost points provided. After that, knowing the buyer understands what has been bought (remember, the user agreed to the Ts&Cs) and its limitations, responsibilities fall on the buyer.

There's really nothing else to say here ... good luck.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 7, 2022 7:15 AM in response to WiggyN

It's clearly stated in the tech specs the allowable ambient conditions; "Non condensing" is clearly spelled out. If that term is foreign to a potential buyer, due diligence requires the buyer research it to understand it. You agreed to the terms and conditions which signifies you understood them.

Apple can only so much to protect its products from inappropriate use with proper engineering standards, premium materials and the offer of extended warranties. No electronics maker does it better at the cost points provided. After that, knowing the buyer understands what has been bought (remember, the user agreed to the Ts&Cs) and its limitations, responsibilities fall on the buyer.

There's really nothing else to say here ... good luck.

Aug 7, 2022 7:23 AM in response to WiggyN

WiggyN wrote:

Thanks for your replies. After doing the rounds with Apple support I guess I’m just stuck with it. Won’t be buying another Apple product again, however. Not for the damage, but from the hostile support. I wasn’t a fan of being told again and again that ‘they have no way of knowing what caused the damage’. I get they have to say that, but I’ll deal with a company that doesn’t over and over call me a liar. Was overall a very unpleasant experience.

Sorry about your issues. I wish you the very best with your non-Apple devices. Be sure to check out the operating environment specifications for whatever computer you decide to purchase. From the Dell Laptop Specifications: "Relative humidity (maximum) operating environment; 10% to 80% (non-condensing), storage environment; 0% to 95% (non-condensing)" This is very similar to the specs of Apple computers. So be cautious going forward.

Aug 5, 2022 5:16 AM in response to WiggyN

If you took the device from a cold, air-conditioned area into the warm, humid, tropical Thai air, potentially-damaging condensation WILL form; even inside the case.

Apple’s products are ALL rated for “non-condensing” conditions.

While working in the tropics “in-and-out” of Air Conditioning, one can seal a laptop in a ziplock - which isn’t opened - until the device has warmed-up.

Aug 5, 2022 7:07 AM in response to WiggyN

I'm afraid there is nothing "unfair" about it. Apple can not do anything about nor control the humidity and your use in a "condensing" environment. Have you never seen liquid on the mirrors or other surfaces in a a hot humid shower? The same thing happens to electronic devices used in a hot humid condensing environment. Look at the specifications for your computer. It clearly states the use environment must be non-condensing.

Aug 7, 2022 5:01 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

Thanks for your replies. After doing the rounds with Apple support I guess I’m just stuck with it. Won’t be buying another Apple product again, however. Not for the damage, but from the hostile support. I wasn’t a fan of being told again and again that ‘they have no way of knowing what caused the damage’. I get they have to say that, but I’ll deal with a company that doesn’t over and over call me a liar. Was overall a very unpleasant experience.

Aug 7, 2022 5:38 AM in response to WiggyN

Genuinely sorry that you had such a bad experience.

Based only on my own experiences as a U.S.-based customer, your experiences would be considered atypical.

As global dewpoints rise … and air-conditioning becomes even more prevalent in the “>23 DegC Dewpoint World” … manufacturers and users are going to have to come to terms w/ “psychrometric” realities.

Aug 7, 2022 5:45 AM in response to Chattanoogan

Indeed. If carrying a laptop between a hotel and the bus station will kill laptops for more and more of their customer base, they’re going to need a better line than ‘I wasn’t there so I don’t know what happened’ for an increasing number of people. Not exactly living up to the premium brand experience. I’ll let humidity kill a much cheaper laptop next time

Damage caused by humidity

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.