How to prevent humidity damage in your macbook.

I live in Rio de Janeiro (Brazil) in a very humid place.

I used to work in a Macbook pro 2019 16''

Suddenly it stopped working. Apple said it's the mother board but the price was too high to fix.

I sent to a repair shop where they repair the board.

I work on this computer. Usually it's on during 12~14h every day.

The repair shop sent pictures of corrosion, interrupted tracks on the board, and lots of dust.

This is a relatively new machine (started using in 2020).

How can I prevent this to happen in my future machines?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 13.3

Posted on May 10, 2023 6:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 11, 2023 7:33 AM

This is not going to be easy as you have to regulate the relative humidity in which the device operates. That would be using it only in an air conditioned environment, having a room dehumidified or maybe just keeping air moving over the device at all times. The fix is likely to be trial and error; I suggest you invest in a good humidity indicator.

Unfortunately, all the above pretty much negates portability. I can tell you trying to seal the unit will not work. Air needs to flow over the unit as well as through the inside.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 11, 2023 7:33 AM in response to luismarcilio

This is not going to be easy as you have to regulate the relative humidity in which the device operates. That would be using it only in an air conditioned environment, having a room dehumidified or maybe just keeping air moving over the device at all times. The fix is likely to be trial and error; I suggest you invest in a good humidity indicator.

Unfortunately, all the above pretty much negates portability. I can tell you trying to seal the unit will not work. Air needs to flow over the unit as well as through the inside.

How to prevent humidity damage in your macbook.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.