Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacMini M1 & monitors

What has stopped me from buying a MacMini M1 is that I keep seeing on different forums that they have problems with monitors. I was planning to buy a LG 27" UltraFine 5K (27MD5KL) and the ASUS ProArt Display 27" (PA278QV) but now I'm having second thoughts. (Apple Display is out of the question)

It seems that this problem started with Monterey. Is this already solved with latest OS 12.5?

Is it true that the macMini M1 does not support more than one monitor?

Posted on Aug 5, 2022 12:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 5, 2022 12:49 PM

The M1 Mac mini supports two displays, 1 display on the HDMI port and 1 display on one of the Thunderbolt/USB-C ports.

see > Connect a display to Mac mini - Apple Support

A couple of things to keep in mind,

1) Most display manufacturer's ship cheap-o HDMI cables in the box and it is best to replace them with a Premium Certified HDMI cable.

2) Not all USB-C displays play well on the manufacturer’s cheap-o USB-C to USB-C cables. Again a high quality USB-C cable or USB-C to DisplayPort cable is a must.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 5, 2022 12:49 PM in response to macaria-valamia

The M1 Mac mini supports two displays, 1 display on the HDMI port and 1 display on one of the Thunderbolt/USB-C ports.

see > Connect a display to Mac mini - Apple Support

A couple of things to keep in mind,

1) Most display manufacturer's ship cheap-o HDMI cables in the box and it is best to replace them with a Premium Certified HDMI cable.

2) Not all USB-C displays play well on the manufacturer’s cheap-o USB-C to USB-C cables. Again a high quality USB-C cable or USB-C to DisplayPort cable is a must.

Aug 10, 2022 4:30 PM in response to macaria-valamia

It is not true that the 16 GB M1 Mac Mini can only support only one monitor. In my flight simulator, it is supporting three monitors, or more correctly, two monitors plus one TV. One is plugged in via Thunderbolt, a second one via HDMI, and the third one via USB with an adapter.

it is described in the following article: https://airfactsjournal.com/2022/05/building-a-frugal-flight-simulator/

MacMini M1 & monitors

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.