Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macro mode on iPhone 13 Pro/Pro Max (wait to upgrade if macro photography is your thing?)

My question earlier today appears to be marked as "solved". If only!

At the risk of cluttering up this forum: is there really no way to manually select & lock in macro camera mode on an iPhone 13 Pro (or Pro Max)?

I have everything fully updated & have the camera set with "Macro Control" on (also Settings>>Camera>Preserve Settings with "Macro Control" set on).

Those settings generally works reasonably well, EXCEPT when I'm trying to focus on a very small subject, say <0.25" inch in diameter. Then my experience (consistently) is that the camera fails to switch into the macro mode, no matter how close I get & no matter how I position the iPhone lenses relative to the subject.

I've done tricks to get the camera to switch into macro mode:

-- using a larger leaf behind a tiny subject

-- selecting 0.5x & zooming in

But I shouldn't need to use those tricks.... I can't figure out why I can't just select macro mode, just like I can select 0.5x, 1x, or 3x.

Without that option, seems like anyone serious about taking macro photos with an iPhone would do better using an add-on lens. That of course defeats the attraction of an iPhone 13 Pro/Pro Max for macro photography.....

Posted on Aug 5, 2022 3:35 PM

Similar questions

2 replies

Aug 6, 2022 10:21 AM in response to SravanKrA

Thank you, but I've read that, made sure all my settings are as suggested, & it doesn't solve with what I'm observing.

If taking a photo of something tiny -- say a seed head or flower on a thin stalk & without another surface immediately behind it -- the camera apparently can't recognize these tiny objects & macro mode simply does not come on.

Put your hand, a larger leaf, or something else behind the tiny object, THEN the macro mode comes on. Not wonderful images, but the ones I'm attaching will maybe illustrate this.

I continue to be baffled that there is no way to simply turn on/lock on macro mode so that it can be used to photograph very small subjects that don't have an immediately adjacent backdrop.

Macro mode on iPhone 13 Pro/Pro Max (wait to upgrade if macro photography is your thing?)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.