Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IPad Air 5 Poor Battery Life

I replaced a 2017 12.9 iPad Pro for a few reasons. One of them was its inability to hold a charge anymore. I bought the new iPad Air 5 in Blue. Believe it or not, my NEW iPad Air 5 is WORSE at holding charge that’s my 5 yr old iPad Pro. I’ve turned off all background app refresh settings. The only thing that helps, is if I turn the iPad off when I’m not using it or turn on Low Power mode. If I don’t do that, I’m recharging this thing 2x a day. What’s the deal???? Did I just get fleeced?

iPad Air 5 Wi-Fi

Posted on Aug 5, 2022 5:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 7, 2022 3:33 PM

I also have this issue, but on my iPad Air 4. I've had this issue since the start. Looking at all the posts in this support community, it seems to be a common problem, and I've found no fix in any of the threads I have looked through. I'm in the habit now of turning my device completely off when not using and it's the only way a charge is preserved. Otherwise within a couple of days, it will discharge to zero, even just sitting on my desk locked, screen off, in standby mode. This is the first new (full size) iPad I've purchased since the 2nd generation Ipad I bought many years ago, and I never had any problems with that machine, nor with any of the few "minis" I've bought the years in between. I share your frustration with many others who have posted here.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 7, 2022 3:33 PM in response to metoyer22

I also have this issue, but on my iPad Air 4. I've had this issue since the start. Looking at all the posts in this support community, it seems to be a common problem, and I've found no fix in any of the threads I have looked through. I'm in the habit now of turning my device completely off when not using and it's the only way a charge is preserved. Otherwise within a couple of days, it will discharge to zero, even just sitting on my desk locked, screen off, in standby mode. This is the first new (full size) iPad I've purchased since the 2nd generation Ipad I bought many years ago, and I never had any problems with that machine, nor with any of the few "minis" I've bought the years in between. I share your frustration with many others who have posted here.

Aug 7, 2022 1:17 AM in response to Neil22R

Thanks. But none of this helped. The battery still drains quick unless I have Low Power Mode on or I turn it off (Power Down) when not in use. By drains quick, I mean I get longer use before charging with my 2017 iPad Pro. I can’t imagine this new device was designed to have this bad of battery life. If so, that’s a huge fail.

Aug 8, 2022 5:58 AM in response to metoyer22

“Up to” indicates just what it says; “up to” does not equate to “will achieve”. This quoted figures can only be achieved with only modest screen brightness and good network connection in ideal conditions. If your iPad is used in bright environments (with a higher screen brightness) or with graphics intensive material, battery life may be considerably shorter.

As an example, an iPad Pro M1 that I have within reach, will reasonably and repeatability achieve 8 hours of web browsing indoors at ~25-30% screen brightness. If used outdoors (or in areas with bright ambient lighting) screen brightness may increase to 100% - at which time battery autonomy falls considerably to ~4 hours.

IPad Air 5 Poor Battery Life

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.