Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't do anything to hard drive because it's "in use" but it isn't

I just got the Western Digital Elements 2TB hard drive today, and I'm trying to Erase it so I can use it on my Mac in the format of Mac OS Extended (Journaled). However it says:

"The volume 'Elements' on disk7s1 couldn't be unmounted because it is in use by process 19754 (diskimagesiod)

Couldn't unmount disk : (-69888)"

I tried looking up "process 19754 (diskimagesiod)" but there literally wasn't a single result. I'm so confused what is up with my computer... I've been having issues mounting a .dmg file (have tried basically every single thing I could find suggested on the internet but it just won't mount) and I wonder if this is related. Within the WD Discovery app, it shows the hard drive as Read Only and says to write to it, I have to reformat it to HFS+, so I know the format I was trying was correct. What does this error message mean?

When I clicked "Unmount" it says "Failed to unmount 'Elements' because it is currently in use." I don't know how it's in use, the WD Discovery is closed and I don't see how else I could be opening it. Does it count to just have it plugged in...?

Edit: Now I'm just trying to eject it, and it said one or more programs is using it even though I had absolutely nothing running except the Finder which can't be force quit out of.

Posted on Aug 6, 2022 2:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 6, 2022 3:01 PM

Boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and try to mount and erase the external HD from there.

What are you planning on using the drive for? If it's for Time Machine format it as APFS as TM will reformat it to that when used the first time.

Similar questions

5 replies

Aug 6, 2022 4:13 PM in response to eluu1

Start by Removing the Third Party Software that was Bundled on the new Drive as per the Developers Specific Instructions.

This software, more often than not, causes issues which maybe what this computer is experiencing now.

Once that is done - Hopefully you can properly Re-Format the drive

Aug 6, 2022 3:30 PM in response to Old Toad

I'm scared to shut down my Mac to boot into safe mode if there really is something running because I'm afraid it could damage the hard drive somehow. Is it safe to shut it down even with the hard drive apparently "still in use"? If I close the Finder through the Activity Monitor first could that make it safer to shut it down?

And I just want to use it for extra storage.

Can't do anything to hard drive because it's "in use" but it isn't

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.