Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WD Elements 4TB

Hi , would appreciate if someone can help to solve the problem.

WD disk Elements 4 TB could be seen in the Finder , but it was not possible to write on it even though in the Disk information the permission stated: read&write. I followed the advice from one of the discussions here which said: go to Disk utility and erase the disk, choosing Mac Os extended (Journaled) format and Scheme - GUID. Unfortunately, it did not help, now the error said , “disk can’t be read”, when I tried to use it again. I ejected the disk and now there are no errors at all and the disk is not present in Finder. Thank you in advance!

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 19, 2020 7:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 20, 2020 2:25 PM

Within Disk Utility you may need to first click on "View" and select "Show All Devices" before the physical drive appears in the left pane of Disk Utility. Select the physical drive and erase it as GUID partition and MacOS Extended (Journaled).

If the physical drive is not seen, then try using another USB port and even another cable. Plug the drive directly into the computer. If plugging directly into the computer does not work, then try using a good powered USB3 hub which can provide the necessary power to the drive and it can also help to buffer the drive from the computer.

Try rebooting your computer.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 20, 2020 2:25 PM in response to londonheartedgirl27

Within Disk Utility you may need to first click on "View" and select "Show All Devices" before the physical drive appears in the left pane of Disk Utility. Select the physical drive and erase it as GUID partition and MacOS Extended (Journaled).

If the physical drive is not seen, then try using another USB port and even another cable. Plug the drive directly into the computer. If plugging directly into the computer does not work, then try using a good powered USB3 hub which can provide the necessary power to the drive and it can also help to buffer the drive from the computer.

Try rebooting your computer.

WD Elements 4TB

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.