Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot remove device from Apple ID

My MacBook Pro 2017 had a non-functioning screen. When I took it into the Apple store for repair I found this uneconomic so came home with it and a new MacBook Pro. I have taken the old one to a local computer shop to wipe the hard drive before it is recycled as it will need to be plugged in to another screen. I was told to remove it from my Apple ID. I have done this before after replacing an iPhone, but have not been successful with the MacBook. Checking the devices on System Preferences>Apple ID shows it, and that Find My is turned on. I cannot see how to turn it off remotely. Clicking on it in the sidebar and then "Remove from account" removes it on the page but not from the sidebar. When I sign in next day it is back and has not been removed at all. I tried signing in at iCloud.com. There the two MacBooks have been reversed. It is the 2017 version (last 4 digits of serial number) that shows an ikon with Monterey while the one bought this month has an ikon showing the Catalina desktop. I have done nothing so as not to remove the wrong one. I have two factor authentication for Apple ID but have not had a verification code. Has it has been sent to the non-functioning MacBook? I have found nothing on the support pages or discussions that helps. What do I try next? I suppose I could just leave it in the list of devices even if it has been recycled for parts but would rather not.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Aug 7, 2022 1:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 8, 2022 1:16 PM

Try using Find My Phone.

Find My Phone – Remove device.  -`

Similar questions

7 replies

Aug 8, 2022 8:21 AM in response to david anstey

You are welcome. Did you follow the steps to permanently remove the device/computer?

Permanently remove a device from your account page

If you're still signed in with your Apple ID on the device, it might reappear on your account page the next time your device connects to the Internet. To permanently remove the device from your account page, sign out of iCloud, iTunes & App Stores, iMessage, FaceTime, and Game Center on that device, or erase that device.

Cannot remove device from Apple ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.