Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

This MacBook is linked to a different Apple ID

I purchased a second-hand MacBook Pro 2019 Intel-based from the internet. The serial number of the computer's outer shell is ****. I have been using this second-hand MacBook for one and a half years. I purchased it from a Taiwanese BBS site **** and confirmed with the seller during face-to-face transaction that Find My Mac had been cleared. I have also linked this MacBook to my Apple ID for more than a year. However, the seller claimed that it belongs to his boss, and he does not have the invoice. After upgrading to Ventura 13.3, the computer is stuck in the recovery assistant, and I cannot access the system. It shows "this MacBook is linked to a different Apple ID." The seller has also stopped responding, and I cannot contact him. I have consulted with Apple Taiwan multiple times, and they have insisted on having an invoice to help me force unlock the device. However, if this MacBook does not belong to me, how can it have been linked to my Apple ID for over a year? I am currently unable to use this computer. What should I do?

[Edited by Moderator]

MacBook Pro (2017 – 2020)

Posted on Apr 10, 2023 6:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 10, 2023 6:58 PM

yifen2p7e2n1t wrote:

I purchased a second-hand MacBook Pro 2019 Intel-based from the internet. The serial number of the computer's outer shell is ****. I have been using this second-hand MacBook for one and a half years. I purchased it from a Taiwanese BBS site **** and confirmed with the seller during face-to-face transaction that Find My Mac had been cleared. I have also linked this MacBook to my Apple ID for more than a year. However, the seller claimed that it belongs to his boss, and he does not have the invoice. After upgrading to Ventura 13.3, the computer is stuck in the recovery assistant, and I cannot access the system. It shows "this MacBook is linked to a different Apple ID." The seller has also stopped responding, and I cannot contact him. I have consulted with Apple Taiwan multiple times, and they have insisted on having an invoice to help me force unlock the device. However, if this MacBook does not belong to me, how can it have been linked to my Apple ID for over a year? I am currently unable to use this computer. What should I do?

[Edited by Moderator]

If that Mac was not properly prepared for resale it could be an issue, yes

ref: What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac

>System Settings>AppleID you can sign out here(?) and into your Apple ID.

One account for everything Apple - verify what devices are associated with your ID.

https://appleid.apple.com/

if you are stuck—An original sales receipt may be the only way forward..

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 10, 2023 6:58 PM in response to yifen2p7e2n1t

yifen2p7e2n1t wrote:

[Edited by Moderator]

If that Mac was not properly prepared for resale it could be an issue, yes

ref: What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac

>System Settings>AppleID you can sign out here(?) and into your Apple ID.

One account for everything Apple - verify what devices are associated with your ID.

https://appleid.apple.com/

if you are stuck—An original sales receipt may be the only way forward..

Apr 10, 2023 7:06 PM in response to leroydouglas

I am 100% certain that I have followed all the steps on this webpage, and I am very certain that the Find My Mac feature has been cleared. However, after upgrading to Ventura 13.3, it seems that the original user still needs to clear it from their iCloud account. However, this information was not available on the Apple website at the time when I bought this second-hand MacBook two years ago.

Could I downgrade to osx 10 solve the problem?

This MacBook is linked to a different Apple ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.