Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AppleTV audio cuts out and pops on Dolby Atmos audio content

There are several threads about issues with audio dropping and pop/crackle sounds when watching video on AppleTV. Some of the threads are marked as "solved", but I do not believe the root issue has been addressed. I'm posting this so 1) people experiencing this issue might understand what is happening sooner than I did. 2) Apple can see how widespread the issue is and acknowledges the problem and releases a fix.

1) The problem occurs when watching video content with Dolby Atmos encoded audio using an Atmos enabled sound system. The audio will intermittently drop completely for 2-5 seconds, and/or there will be a series of audible pops witch can be rapid or few and far between. Usually the sound will return to normal, but it may happen again, but not in any noticeable interval.

2) Often people complain about a problem with the Netflix app on AppleTV. HBO Max, has also been mentioned. I have the problem with any video with Dolby Atmos audio, regardless of the app delivering it, including iTunes movies I've purchased.

3) I have NOT noticed the problem when playing Atmos encoded music from the Apple Music app when using AirPlay to the same home theater system (goes directly to the AVR which has Airplay, bypassing the AppleTV)

4) Many discussions here, and elsewhere on the internet, point to cabling as the possible culprit. In this case, it is not.

-I use Cat6 shielded cable directly connecting the AppleTV to a gigabit switch and have gigabit fiber internet access. The SpeedTest app on the appleTV itself shows 960+MB/s bandwidth. It is NOT a bandwidth or network cable issue.

-The HDMI cables (a frequent source of trouble in many systems) I'm using are elite 8K/48Gb rated cables. They are reliably providing 4:2:2 color space 4K HDR video without problem, and are unlikely to be the problem.

5) Many system components are also mentioned in posts. The system I'm using has the AppleTV connected to a Marantz 7706 AVR which is connected to a Samsung - 85" QN90A TV. This setup is using ARC and I am able to turn everything on/off and control the volume with the AppleTV remote. Everything is playing well together, and other than Atmos encoded audio in video content, I'm having no issues.

6) After reading what other people have tried, I should mention that I have played with various speaker and Atmos configuration settings. I've got a 7.1 speaker configuration, and have the option to simulate ceiling speakers for Atmos content with the Marantz 7706. Some people have said turning this off helped the problem, I had no such luck. I've also turned off ARC (also suggested) with no effect. Again, I'm mentioning these things because i saw them posted as possible solutions and am hoping this saves others some headache.

I guess my question is this: After all this time, is Apple aware of this problem?

Apple TV 4K

Posted on Aug 8, 2022 9:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 8, 2022 10:40 AM

I have been having this exact same problem, but stumbled on a fix that worked for my setup. Your mileage may vary, of course, but I should let you know what worked for me just in case it helps anyone on this thread.

I have an Apple TV 4K (2022), connected via HDMI into an Anthem MRX receiver which is in turn connected via HDMI to an LG OLED TV. It's a fairly typical setup for anyone who's using a receiver/amp to power external speakers. The audio and video are thus running (1) from the Apple TV into the receiver via HDMI, and the receiver in turn (2) is outputting audio to external speakers and (3) sends video to the LG via HDMI. No HDMI ARC here.

In this setup I have seen intermittent cutting out of audio for 2-3 seconds at a time, video is unaffected, and the cutting out would happen at somewhat random times. It persisted across multiple formats but seemed more common for Dolby encoded audio. It also seemed to happen more often when using Apple Music, or Airplay from an Apple device, than apps like Netflix or YouTube, but it still did occur when using those apps. I tried everything to isolate possible variables, including switching HDMI cables, using different HDMI inputs/output ports on the receiver/TV, etc., to try to eliminate those as possible causes.

I note that other features, like using "Audio->Change Format" to remove Atmos, did not solve this problem.

The problem has since gone away, and so far hasn't returned for two days, after I used the "Reset Video Settings" feature in Settings->Video and Audio. Even though the command is to "Reset Video Settings," it seems to have fixed what was likely an HDMI syncing problem between the Apple TV and the receiver that was causing intermittent audio cutouts. I don't know what "Reset Video Settings" actually resets, but whatever it did, it solved my problems. The user-selectable settings in the Video section of that menu (Match Content, etc.,) were set to the same default values both before and after the reset.

Obviously there's no guarantee that this will help others on this thread, but I do suspect that very few have tried it because they figured the reset command only affected video, but it obviously resets parameters more generally relating to the HDMI connection.

Similar questions

124 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 8, 2022 10:40 AM in response to goudok

I have been having this exact same problem, but stumbled on a fix that worked for my setup. Your mileage may vary, of course, but I should let you know what worked for me just in case it helps anyone on this thread.

I have an Apple TV 4K (2022), connected via HDMI into an Anthem MRX receiver which is in turn connected via HDMI to an LG OLED TV. It's a fairly typical setup for anyone who's using a receiver/amp to power external speakers. The audio and video are thus running (1) from the Apple TV into the receiver via HDMI, and the receiver in turn (2) is outputting audio to external speakers and (3) sends video to the LG via HDMI. No HDMI ARC here.

In this setup I have seen intermittent cutting out of audio for 2-3 seconds at a time, video is unaffected, and the cutting out would happen at somewhat random times. It persisted across multiple formats but seemed more common for Dolby encoded audio. It also seemed to happen more often when using Apple Music, or Airplay from an Apple device, than apps like Netflix or YouTube, but it still did occur when using those apps. I tried everything to isolate possible variables, including switching HDMI cables, using different HDMI inputs/output ports on the receiver/TV, etc., to try to eliminate those as possible causes.

I note that other features, like using "Audio->Change Format" to remove Atmos, did not solve this problem.

The problem has since gone away, and so far hasn't returned for two days, after I used the "Reset Video Settings" feature in Settings->Video and Audio. Even though the command is to "Reset Video Settings," it seems to have fixed what was likely an HDMI syncing problem between the Apple TV and the receiver that was causing intermittent audio cutouts. I don't know what "Reset Video Settings" actually resets, but whatever it did, it solved my problems. The user-selectable settings in the Video section of that menu (Match Content, etc.,) were set to the same default values both before and after the reset.

Obviously there's no guarantee that this will help others on this thread, but I do suspect that very few have tried it because they figured the reset command only affected video, but it obviously resets parameters more generally relating to the HDMI connection.

Nov 26, 2022 11:24 AM in response to smackthud

I have exactly the same issue with the Netflix app! LG C1 + Sonos Arc + Apple TV 4k (2022 version) with latest os update 16.1.1 I found 2 workarounds, if an Apple engineer gets to reads this it would be really time to fix it:

1) Switching to Sonos Arc as temporary audio out fixes the issue. Let us set it as permanent audio out, really simple

2) If I download the exact same show and stream it with Infuse player no issues. It is obviously a software issue. If Infuse can do it, the apple tv os should be able too. Check their Dolby Audio implementation or hire their experts 🤓

Where is the “it just works”?! This is a subpar apple experience, please fix it already!

Nov 12, 2022 7:22 PM in response to dk401

I have a gen2 Apple TV 4K running tvOS 16.1. I have an HDMI going directly into an LG projector, and an optical cord from the projector going to a sound bar (Roku streambar). All pass through from the Apple TV.

It works great for 90-120 seconds but all sound fades to a drop out for half a second and then does it again a half of a second later. Then it’s fine again for the next minute and a half.

I’ve confirmed this only happens with the Apple TV. Dolby Digital 5.1 … I’ve changed cords, and even tested with an older Apple TV (which doesn’t have this problem). The Apple TV 4K (gen2) with tvOS 16.1 is always the issue.

Nov 12, 2022 7:14 PM in response to bhasselbeck

I 🤔 wondering how and when Apple recognize this as a major issue. Sound drop outs on Atv 4k 2nd gen with tvOS 16.1 and also with new 3rd gen which just came out. I will be taking mine back.

Dolby Atmos and ATV 2021 or 2022 4K models are having issue, maybe software related or Hardware. Apple is letting down a lot of people. Need a fix soon.

Nov 17, 2022 10:22 AM in response to smackthud

I just had this start happening with my new Apple TV. My old "last year model" Apple TV was fine and worked flawlessly even on iOS 16. I got the new 2022 APPLE TV 4K with Ethernet and now this problem started happening. If I pause the music, even the sound effects have the distorted crackling sound. They sound like light sabers when clicking through the menus.

I think this is a hardware issue.

Nov 22, 2022 9:08 AM in response to LeCerfAgile

I don’t understand this either. I wonder if this is a hardware chip level issue or just not on their radar when compared to the masses. I wish we could see their open issues documents.

I will live with my Apple TV 4K but will likely avoid purchasing a new model due to this issue and their failure to even acknowledge what we are experiencing. The Apple TV really is a black box.

Nov 9, 2022 6:01 PM in response to smackthud

I just got a new Apple tv 4k 2022 running tvOS 16.1 and has same issues with YouTube, Netflix and Apple Music sometimes. I thought it was my sound bar system at first but after switching to my native TV (LG C1 and sonos arc) for days I didn't have any problems with it. And then I found out this post so I'm pretty sure it's apple tv issues.

Apple must fix this issue asap :(

Sep 8, 2022 10:21 PM in response to smackthud

Yeah I’ve having having the same issue, it’s happened multiple times where it indeed cuts sound every other 10 to 20 seconds for about one second, it happens with Apple Music, YouTube and even my Crunchyroll streaming app, it goes back to normal but then it goes back to the same issue, I don’t think is the hdmi input since I changed it to multiple ones, I’ve even swapped the hdmi cord and the one I bought for it on day one is a “Belkin UltraHD High Speed 4K HDMI” which I bought through the apple store when I purchased the Apple TV 4K. Is getting tiresome to keep trying to fix and look for ways to fix the issue. I Hope they update and patch the issue.

Sep 13, 2022 2:15 PM in response to Marz_Zero

Hi, I am also continuing to experience this issue. Purchased Apple TV 4K in feb. Experiencing sound drop out on atmos soundtracks when viewing Netflix. Unwatchable. Last couple of weeks noticed there doesn’t seem to be atmos content when accessing Netflix via Apple TV. Up until now hadn’t noticed any issues when viewing Amazon Prime however experienced couple of dropouts when viewing The Rings of Power last Friday. Not as bad as Netflix though.

Whilst deactivating atmos might stop the drop outs, this kind of defeats the object. If you’ve invested in an atmos enabled system, it’s reasonable to expect atmos enabled content if that’s what you’ve paid for. Wasn’t aware that this issue might be resolved by switching to Wi-Fi but again defeats the object when you’ve invested in cat 6 infrastructure throughout the house.

I decided to wait as long as possible to update to 16 so as to enable any glitches to be ironed out but at the very least it would be helpful if Apple could at least acknowledge an issue. I have seen no reference to this in any tvOS 16 reviews.

Oct 15, 2022 12:51 AM in response to AppleMatt21

Hi guys, mine is same. Was working fine 2 weeks ago and now have the popping and broken speech. Finally illuminated all components TV Sound a bar apps and worked out an Apple issue and just found this forum. Good replace hdmi cables etc……. I changed to stereo and yes solved problem but now sub standard sound through an expensive sound bar. Hopefully Apple fix soon and release an update.

Oct 17, 2022 12:09 AM in response to winn60

I have the same issue with my Apple TV 4K purchased in February. I am running the latest tvOS 16 and all my apps are up to date. I have an LG C1 and a Sonos Beam soundbar with two Symphonisk bookshelf speakers. When watching movies, most notably on HBO Max, the sound will cut out every 10-20 minutes. The only way I have found to restore the audio is to exit the app to the Home Screen and move the cursor around until the system sounds trigger the audio to start again. Then I can return to the app and resume the movie.

AppleTV audio cuts out and pops on Dolby Atmos audio content

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.