Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New iPad Air - Oleophobic Coating Not Working?

I just bought a brand new 5th gen iPad Air straight from Apple. After using it for about a week, the screen is all smudged and has weird swirlies in it. Using a soft microfiber cloth to wipe it does nothing.

I have other a number of other iDevices, including 3 iPads, and none of them has anything like this - simply wiping with a soft microfiber cloth usually cleans the screen nicely!

Has anyone else seen an issue where the oleophobic coating doesn't seem to be effective?

iPad Air 5 Wi-Fi

Posted on Aug 9, 2022 12:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 26, 2022 1:35 PM

I took the iPad Air to an Apple Store Genius. I wasn't able to demonstrate the swirly colors - that seems to have gone away with use. However, I did have them attempt to clean it - and their cloth worked. So... I don't know why my cloth works on my old devices, but I picked up a new cloth, and the iPad Air is now cleaning fine.

The Genius said the Stores replace their cloths frequently, so I'll keep that in mind - and, the best cloths are those thicker, nubby microfiber cloths, rather than the very smooth cloths.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 26, 2022 1:35 PM in response to lisfolks

I took the iPad Air to an Apple Store Genius. I wasn't able to demonstrate the swirly colors - that seems to have gone away with use. However, I did have them attempt to clean it - and their cloth worked. So... I don't know why my cloth works on my old devices, but I picked up a new cloth, and the iPad Air is now cleaning fine.

The Genius said the Stores replace their cloths frequently, so I'll keep that in mind - and, the best cloths are those thicker, nubby microfiber cloths, rather than the very smooth cloths.

New iPad Air - Oleophobic Coating Not Working?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.