Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Monterey OS

There was a recent update of Monterey OS. Did this fix the problem with external hard drives?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.5

Posted on Aug 9, 2022 2:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 9, 2022 6:02 PM

Druid12 wrote:

There was a recent update of Monterey OS. Did this fix the problem with external hard drives?

12.5 is the current....

The current stable release of Monterey including bug fixes, is macOS 12.5

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support

You would have to say more if you have an issue...

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 9, 2022 6:02 PM in response to Druid12

Druid12 wrote:

12.5 is the current....

The current stable release of Monterey including bug fixes, is macOS 12.5

You would have to say more if you have an issue...

Aug 10, 2022 4:13 AM in response to leroydouglas

II have had a problem with external hard drives--the computer does not recognize the hardware, even though there has been an installation. Accessing the forum, I find that this is a common problem, and the consensus is that it is a problem with the OS. Recently there was an update which was installed on my machine. I just wanted to know if the update included a "iix" for the defect with regard to external drives.

Thank you.

Aug 10, 2022 4:59 AM in response to Druid12

External Drives, under normal conditions and circumstances, just work in macOS provide the drive is formatted to work in macOS.

Drives formatted as exFAT, FAT, HFS Journaled or APFS should all work fine.

NTFS is not Native to macOs but can still be Read but can not be Written to without special Third Party Software

That is and unless the user is using some Third Party Software which is often Bundled on New External and then is installed onto the computer.

Further, using a USB Hub between the computer and External Drive.

USB Hubs have been appearing as problematic and it will generally depend on the Chipset contained in the Hub as to where it will or will not work

Aug 10, 2022 5:14 AM in response to PRP_53

The Samsung external drives I used were allegedly formatted for Mac OS. I purchased two of them and neither one worked. The computer simply would not recognize the presence of the device. This is my first Mac. I'm thinking that I made a mistake, and will likely return to Windows. I am computer literate in the same sense that I am motor vehicle literate, I can drive the thing, but that's about it. If it isn't going to be user friendly, I may as well shelve it.

Monterey OS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.