Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Monterey 12.5 Automatically Restarting overnight due to error

I have a 13" early 2015 MacBook Pro, running Monterey 12.5. Over the past 2-3 weeks, I open my Mac to find an error on the screen (nearly every day), stating that the system found an error, and automatically restarted itself. I've run Malwarebytes with no errors being found. I am presented with the option to "ignore" or "report" the error to Apple, to which I respond "report" each time. Any ideas as to what's causing this problem?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.5

Posted on Aug 9, 2022 6:04 PM

9 replies

Aug 12, 2022 8:14 PM in response to zman of Illinois

Update: I elected to re-install Monterey OS last night, only to have the automatic restart to reappear this evening when I woke my Mac from sleep. I installed and ran EtreCheck, receiving the error messages noted below. I also ran Apples Diagnostic tool which came be with no problems being found. Lastly I elected to delete Malwarebytes this evening. I'll do a full shutdown/start, and see if the problem occurs again.

Major Issues:

Anything that appears on this list needs immediate attention. 

Kernel panics - This system has experienced kernel panics. This could be a sign of hardware failure.

Minor Issues:

These issues do not need immediate attention but they may indicate future problems or opportunities for improvement. 

Apps with heavy CPU usage - There have been numerous cases of apps with heavy CPU usage.

Clean up - There are orphan files that could be removed.

Unsigned files - There are unsigned software files installed. These files could be old, incompatible, and cause problems. They should be reviewed.

x86-only Apps - This computer has x86-only apps might not work on future versions of the operating system.

Limited permissions - More information may be available with Full Disk Access.

Kernel extensions present - This computer has kernel extensions that may not work in the future.

Sharing enabled - This computer has sharing services enabled that could be a security risk.

Aug 14, 2022 7:02 AM in response to zman of Illinois

Without seeing the Entire Report of Etrecheck - the only thing that does jump out to me is " Kernel panics - This system has experienced kernel panics. This could be a sign of hardware failure."

Running a 13" early 2015 Retina MacBook Pro in 2022 = 7 year old machine and drives or other Hardware maybe showing its' age

There might be additional important information in that report but were are fly blind

Aug 14, 2022 10:30 AM in response to PRP_53

The only kernel related message I see in the report is below. It’s unclear how I address this issue.

2022-08-12 06:34:26 Kernel Panic (10 times)

Details:

panic(cpu 0 caller 0xffffff801810ce84): "can not do encrypted i/o with

a null cpx! crypto state 0xffffffa5594061b0\n" @io_kernel.c:559

Panicked task 0xffffffaa265156d0: 3 threads: pid 649: mdsync

Monterey 12.5 Automatically Restarting overnight due to error

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.