Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do you prevent text from wrapping in a Motion text box so the Enter key has no effect?

Does anybody know how to prevent text from wrapping in a Motion text box so the Enter key has no effect?  

I know in Adobe After Effects there is a written expression that is commonly used to achieve the same thing. I have tried playing with text paths and different behaviours like link, negate, clamp, stop etc. but no luck. I am just trying to create a simple generator effect I can use in Final Cut Pro where I enter text in a box but when I hit the enter key I don't want the text cursor to move to the next line.

Am I overlooking something extremely obvious? Is there a way to edit the xml to disable the enter key? Does anybody know? Is this the wrong place to ask this? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thx!

MacBook Pro

Posted on Aug 10, 2022 5:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 10, 2022 9:18 PM

Hi

What you describe there is a matter of altering the way Motion and FCP handle the enter key input. It is not a solution to be found in the templates, it is a matter of coding by way of FxPlug or alternatives. As far as I know, a Motion xml instructs the host, FCP how to run the template. It would not be able to add and change functions to the host itself such as changing the enter key response. (to the best of my knowledge)

You would want to discuss this with someone who knows how to code for Motion and FCP plugins - maybe this is the right place for that question, someone might be around who can take you further with this.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 10, 2022 9:18 PM in response to WishBear

Hi

What you describe there is a matter of altering the way Motion and FCP handle the enter key input. It is not a solution to be found in the templates, it is a matter of coding by way of FxPlug or alternatives. As far as I know, a Motion xml instructs the host, FCP how to run the template. It would not be able to add and change functions to the host itself such as changing the enter key response. (to the best of my knowledge)

You would want to discuss this with someone who knows how to code for Motion and FCP plugins - maybe this is the right place for that question, someone might be around who can take you further with this.

Aug 10, 2022 6:35 PM in response to WishBear

Hi Wishbear

The are a couple of ways I know for this

First, there is indeed a function that is for this exact purpose. If you look in format section for your text in the inspector, you'll see 3 vertical alignment options. If you want the next line of text to push up and away from the baseline, then use the 'align text to bottom' option.

Note, you need to have your text set to paragraph mode first, you can find that option in the layout section.

If using paragraph format for your typography conflicts with other functional requirements you have for your template, then we can link the Y anchor point of the text to its bottom edge. This will drive the text upwards from the anchor point which will stay at the baseline with the link.

results

Aug 10, 2022 8:57 PM in response to rowie302

Thank you so much rowie302 for the quick reply and incredible clearly laid out detail in your response!!

I should have been more specific with my issue. I am just trying to restrict text to a single line. So when you press the return key on your keyboard it's just to confirm or enter the text you just typed like a text field on an internet form where you tab from 1 field to another. I'm trying to prevent the text from wrapping up or down. or somehow disable the return key.

This is for single line text labels that would sit under a picture or thumbnail where I would have the ability to type a description and change the font and size but be restricted to a single line of text.

A Clamp,Stop and Negate behaviour applied to Paragraph/Line Spacing works initially but is extremely buggy because a new behaviour instance is applied every time you hit the enter key and if you publish the parameter for use in FCP it doesn't work anyway.

Aug 10, 2022 11:59 PM in response to rowie302

Not the answer I was hoping for but sort of what I was expecting. I did download FxPlug and Xcode to have a look and was overwhelmed! I would be nice to know if you could edit a Motion template in FxPlug without recoding the template effect from scratch? Your answer will definitely help me rephrase the question!

Thank you again rowie302 for your help on this and the clarity of your response!!

how do you prevent text from wrapping in a Motion text box so the Enter key has no effect?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.