Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does anybody know how to change an Enter key response function for Motion and FCP with FxPlug (or alternative)?

This is related to the question below.

I am trying to restrict text to a single line. So when you press the return key on your keyboard it's just to confirm or enter the text you just typed like a text field on an internet form where you tab from 1 field to another.  I'm trying to prevent the text from wrapping up or down by disabling the return key.

I know in Adobe After Effects there is a written expression that is commonly used to achieve the same thing.  I have tried playing with the text format section, text paths and different behaviours like link, negate, clamp, stop etc. but no luck so I suspect the only solution is at the coding level (FxPlug or alternative). 

I am just trying to create a simple generator effect I can use in Final Cut Pro where I enter text in a box but when I hit the enter key I don't want the text cursor to move to the next line.  

Any help or pointing in the right direction would be greatly appreciated! Thx!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.3

Posted on Aug 11, 2022 7:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 11, 2022 11:00 AM

I was able to put together an Automator Service that you can install in your Home folder/Library/Services folder. It will remove any newlines from selected text as well as make sure only a single space exists between words (sometimes an extra space will exist before a newline/return is typed so this makes sure only one space replaces the return.)

This service should be available as a service to any app that supports text (not just FCP or Motion).

You can download it here if you're interested:

https://fcpxtemplates.com/downloads > Remove Newlines (there are a lot of other downloads on that page...)

And, you may redistribute it with your generator if you need to (but don't sell it!)

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 11, 2022 11:00 AM in response to WishBear

I was able to put together an Automator Service that you can install in your Home folder/Library/Services folder. It will remove any newlines from selected text as well as make sure only a single space exists between words (sometimes an extra space will exist before a newline/return is typed so this makes sure only one space replaces the return.)

This service should be available as a service to any app that supports text (not just FCP or Motion).

You can download it here if you're interested:

https://fcpxtemplates.com/downloads > Remove Newlines (there are a lot of other downloads on that page...)

And, you may redistribute it with your generator if you need to (but don't sell it!)

Aug 11, 2022 2:52 PM in response to fox_m

Thank you fox_m for your time and generosity!! I didn't need to download the automator script.

The Crawl feature that you suggested has provided an adequate solution! It took me a while to figure out. The solution was seperatly grouping the text object and the rectangle that was used to apply the Align To behaviour too otherwise the text exhibited wonky behaviour when you hit the enter key.

So for anyone else who may be interested you can click on the green rectangle and drag it around on the screen and text box will always follow and be aligned with the left edge because of the applied Align To behaviour.

Here are some pics.

This a welcome alternative to researching a solution with FxPlug and Xcode!

Thanks again fox_m!!

Aug 11, 2022 9:13 AM in response to WishBear

The simplest method involving the least amount of grief is: don't type the return key in your text... period.

In Motion, the Crawl layout method ignores returns, but opens up a supersized can of worms — but play with it — you might be able to work with it (depending on what you need your generator to do.)

This last suggestion involves writing an Automator Service which will be accessible from the Text field in the Text Inspector in Final Cut which can be made to strip out return characters (and even replace them with spaces if necessary, because that will be an issue as well.) In Final Cut, select the text in the Text Inspector Text box and right click. A popup menu will appear and at the bottom of the menu is an option called "Services". When moused over, a list of system services will appear. Custom services as well. [I'm not all that good with Automator, but some here are - maybe someone can hook you up.]

Does anybody know how to change an Enter key response function for Motion and FCP with FxPlug (or alternative)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.