You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple introduces powerful new iPad mini built for Apple Intelligence. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Any way to stop the Return key on an iPad Magic Keyboard from sending messages?

For some reason, hitting the “Return” key on the Magic Keyboard causes a message (in the Messages app) to be sent right away instead of just moving down to start a new line like it would on an iPhone or iPad onscreen keyboard. Is there any way to turn off that setting so that the return key on the Magic Keyboard behaves like the return key on an iPhone? (I use numerous iOS devices and I end up accidentally sending partial messages from the iPad because the return key performs a different function when I attach the Magic Keyboard. Maybe there is some good reason to offer that OPTION, but the system should at least offer users the choice of making the hardware keyboard perform exactly the same as the iOS software keyboards.) Thanks!

iPad Pro 11-inch Wi-Fi, Cellular

Posted on Aug 10, 2022 7:11 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 11, 2022 7:06 AM

If this is a problem for you, too, please select the "i have this question too" box so that I can pass that along to Apple. Thanks!

10 replies

Aug 10, 2022 7:56 PM in response to lobsterghost1

Thank you. That is definitely a helpful hint but what I really want is a way to make the return key function exactly the same way that it does on the iPad’s onscreen keyboard. It doesn’t seem logical to have the “return” key function two different ways on the same device depending solely upon which keyboard you have chosen (onscreen or Magic)

Aug 11, 2022 4:14 AM in response to lobsterghost1

Again, thank you, but I’m not looking to learn a new way to do something. I want to make the hardware keyboard perform the exact same way as the software keyboard. It makes absolutely no sense to have a key named “Return” perform different functions on the same device depending upon which type of keyboard you are using at the time.

Aug 11, 2022 6:48 AM in response to lobsterghost1

I sent a message to Apple Feedback.

I just did a search for the topic "magic keyboard return sends message" and found multiple threads about the issue. There are also numerous threads about it on forums outside of Apple Discussions so it's definitely an issue for at least some people.

I completely understand your point about there not being a send (up arrow) key on the Magic Keyboard but the send (up arrow) key doesn't go away on the iPad screen when using the physical keyboard and you can still use it to send a message. Maybe some people like the fact that you can use the Return key to send a message when using the Magic Keyboard but it just doesn't make sense that a key with the same name would perform two entirely different functions on the exact same device. I would guess that most people that have an iPad also use an iPhone and they are used to tapping the blue arrow to send a message so it would not be a big deal to tap that blue arrow even when using the Magic Keyboard. All I am saying is that users should at least have the choice of how that key works and that should be extremely easy to program. I don't want to have to use a keystroke combination to perform a function that has been native to a keyboard since the invention of the typewriter.

I also use a MacBook Pro and don't like that shortcoming in the Messages app there, either, but it at least makes more sense due to the lack of a touchscreen. But the Return key does still perform as you would expect and starts a new line when using programs such as Pages, Numbers, Keynote, etc. Maybe the MacBook keyboard needs a Send Arrow!

Thanks

Aug 11, 2022 6:12 AM in response to AppleGrappler

The only people from Apple who monitor these threads are Forum Hosts, and they are not who you hope would see your concern.

And to your point of a large number of people having this issue, I haven't seen any other threads on this and I'm here every day.

If you really want Apple to know your thoughts, using the link I provided is the way to go.

Ps: I have given this more thought on why this behavior is as it is when using a keyboard. Simply said on your iPhone and iPad, you use the return key and you get to type on a line below BECAUSE on the virtual keyboard, there is a send (up arrow) you tap to send. This is not a feature on a physical keyboard. So to accommodate that, Apple has command options you can use on a physical keyboard to accomplish what you want to accomplish.

This is the same on a MacBook Pro, by the way. There is no send arrow, so if I need to type on a new line, I have to use the Option Enter to do this as well.

Any way to stop the Return key on an iPad Magic Keyboard from sending messages?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.