Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

finder sluggish

What are possible reasons for a sluggish or frozen finder? The problem started after I was cleaning out files from the downloads directory and an external hard disk.

iMac 27″, macOS 12.5

Posted on Aug 12, 2022 7:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 12, 2022 7:42 AM

spinning_vertex wrote:

What are possible reasons for a sluggish or frozen finder? The problem started after I was cleaning out files from the downloads directory and an external hard disk.

cleaning out how... manually like always are you used some third party cleaning app...(?)

Uninstall all third party apps that are Cleaners/Optimizers/VPN/Anti-Virus

all known to cause issues on the macOS

To trouble shoot further you can:

—Test issue in another user (or guest user) account Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac - Apple Support

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account. 

—SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support will sort many anomalies

Takes a bit longer to get to the login screen, does a quick disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache, font cache, etc.

Login and test. Reboot as normal and test. Caches get rebuilt automatically.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 12, 2022 7:42 AM in response to spinning_vertex

spinning_vertex wrote:

cleaning out how... manually like always are you used some third party cleaning app...(?)

Uninstall all third party apps that are Cleaners/Optimizers/VPN/Anti-Virus

all known to cause issues on the macOS

To trouble shoot further you can:

—Test issue in another user (or guest user) account Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac - Apple Support

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account. 

—SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support will sort many anomalies

Takes a bit longer to get to the login screen, does a quick disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache, font cache, etc.

Login and test. Reboot as normal and test. Caches get rebuilt automatically.

Aug 12, 2022 10:24 AM in response to spinning_vertex

Give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Aug 12, 2022 8:29 AM in response to leroydouglas

I was manually cleaning out the downloads folder by either sending them to the trash or an external drive.

I was also backing up some of the files on the external drive to another storage device and moving those files to the trash.

The change in the file structure was in the realm of 200gb. The problem definitely happened after those changes.

I do have a lot of files on the external drive.

I did use onyX as it was a suggestion from the apple forums. I did notice a faster start-up after use.

I should note that using apps themselves there is no problem, but sometimes after leaving an app and using the finder to open a new app or close another app the finder produces the rainbow wheel of death.

If anything rings a bell would absolutely be ecstatic to hear from you. Meanwhile will try your suggestions.

Thanks for your response.

spinning

finder sluggish

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.