Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro not recognizing ssd

Hi, so my MacBook pro (mid 2012) doesn’t recognize my ssd anymore. I can’t repair, verify or reinstall When booting in to disk utility. It so happens that my SO has the exact same macbook. So i swapped the ssds and lo and behold it boots like a charm in my SOs mac. So my question really is, what hardware in my mac could be causing this? I know the HD Cable, but is there anything Else?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 14, 2022 2:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 15, 2022 1:53 PM

MørketsFyrste wrote:

Hi, so my MacBook pro (mid 2012) doesn’t recognize my ssd anymore. I can’t repair, verify or reinstall When booting in to disk utility. It so happens that my SO has the exact same macbook. So i swapped the ssds and lo and behold it boots like a charm in my SOs mac. So my question really is, what hardware in my mac could be causing this? I know the HD Cable, but is there anything Else?

SATA cables are a known issue...the 13" was more susceptible....

SATA replacement 13"MBP mid 2012

https://eshop.macsales.com/item/Apple/8211480/%20%2013%22%20MacBook%20Pro%20SATA

If you put the SSD in an external enclosure and boot from there holding the Option key—this bypass the internal SATA cable as a test.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 15, 2022 1:53 PM in response to MørketsFyrste

MørketsFyrste wrote:

SATA cables are a known issue...the 13" was more susceptible....

SATA replacement 13"MBP mid 2012

https://eshop.macsales.com/item/Apple/8211480/%20%2013%22%20MacBook%20Pro%20SATA

If you put the SSD in an external enclosure and boot from there holding the Option key—this bypass the internal SATA cable as a test.

Macbook Pro not recognizing ssd

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.