No SSD listed after erase

System is a 2017 15" MacBook Pro. I was trying to wipe my old MacBook Pro to give to my sister. First I attempted to do it through system settings with the built in Transfer or Reset utility, but received an error that the system did not support this function. So I then attempted to boot the system into recovery mode.

From there I chose the Disk Utility and selected erase on the MacOS partition. After the erase I then tried to reinstall MacOS but there was not disk listed.

I tried restarting and doing the internet recovery, but again there was no disk listed and now when I go to Disk Utility it does not list the SSD at all.

I have attempted the cmd+opt+P+R for twenty seconds after powering the system on, that did not seem to make a difference.

Any other suggestions or is this system likely dead now?

MacBook Pro (2017 – 2020)

Posted on May 30, 2023 4:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 30, 2023 7:12 PM

Its a 2017 MacBook Pro with a touch bar, there is no F5 and trying to hold function key does not display anything on the touch bar until it has already loaded into recovery mode.

Because the recovery image it was trying to get from the internet was High Sierra and it had previously had Ventura installed, I was concerned that there might be some sort of change or update that did not allow the older OS to see the disk.

I downloaded the Ventura installer and made a boot USB from it and booted with it rather then internet recovery and it was able to see the internal SSD where where the internet recovery could not. The boot USB allowed me to start the OS install, which is running now. Hopefully that works without an issue. And if anyone is experiencing a similar issue, hopefully they find this thread.

Thank you for your assistance.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 30, 2023 7:12 PM in response to TheLittles

Its a 2017 MacBook Pro with a touch bar, there is no F5 and trying to hold function key does not display anything on the touch bar until it has already loaded into recovery mode.

Because the recovery image it was trying to get from the internet was High Sierra and it had previously had Ventura installed, I was concerned that there might be some sort of change or update that did not allow the older OS to see the disk.

I downloaded the Ventura installer and made a boot USB from it and booted with it rather then internet recovery and it was able to see the internal SSD where where the internet recovery could not. The boot USB allowed me to start the OS install, which is running now. Hopefully that works without an issue. And if anyone is experiencing a similar issue, hopefully they find this thread.

Thank you for your assistance.

May 30, 2023 6:54 PM in response to Semi-Detached

Semi-Detached Said:

"No SSD listed after erase: Any other suggestions or is this system likely dead now?"

-------

Clear the Cache:

Hold down F5 during boot. Your Mac will reboot.. The caches would be trashed, and this may be seen. Caches are made to easily remember how things last occurred when used, so it can run quicker.

If that doesn't work...

Please provide a screenshot. Take a photo, and reply with it.

May 30, 2023 7:33 PM in response to Semi-Detached

Semi-Detached Said:

"[...]I downloaded the Ventura installer and made a boot USB from it and booted with it rather then internet recovery and it was able to see the internal SSD where where the internet recovery could not. The boot USB allowed me to start the OS install, which is running now. Hopefully that works without an issue. And if anyone is experiencing a similar issue, hopefully they find this thread."

-------

You are welcome. Excellent job troubleshooting!

On my 2017 MacBook Pro, I see the F5 button upon boot. You simply hold you finger on it, leather than perching down.

No SSD listed after erase

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.