Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to Update from Monterey 12.3 to 12.5

Laptop Model: Macbook Pro 15inch (2018)

I used software update (under system preference) to try to update to 12.5 and failed every time. It downloaded for a period of time and then exited with some errors. Then I tried to use command line "softwareupdate -install -all" twice, and each time I got this:

% softwareupdate --install --all

Software Update Tool

Finding available software

Downloading macOS Monterey 12.5.1

Downloading: 100.00%

Failed to download & prepare update: Error Domain=SUOSUErrorDomain Code=201 "Failed to prepare the software update. Please try again." UserInfo={NSLocalizedRecoverySuggestion=An error occurred while downloading the selected updates. Please check your internet connection and try again., NSLocalizedDescription=Failed to prepare the software update. Please try again., NSUnderlyingError=0x600003f04990 {Error Domain=SUMacControllerError Code=7740 "[SUMacControllerErrorPrepareFailed=7740] Failed to perform Prepare operation: [MobileSoftwareUpdateErrorDomain(MSU):MSU_ERR_BRIDGEOS_PREPARE_FAILURE(45)_1_BOSErrorDomain:204_2_BridgeOSSoftwareUpdateError:19]" UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=Failed to prepare the software update. Please try again., SUMacControllerErrorIndicationsMask=0, NSDebugDescription=[SUMacControllerErrorPrepareFailed=7740] Failed to perform Prepare operation: [MobileSoftwareUpdateErrorDomain(MSU):MSU_ERR_BRIDGEOS_PREPARE_FAILURE(45)_1_BOSErrorDomain:204_2_BridgeOSSoftwareUpdateError:19], NSUnderlyingError=0x600003f05380 {Error Domain=MobileSoftwareUpdateErrorDomain Code=45 "bridgeOS prepare failed" UserInfo={NSUnderlyingError=0x600003f05320 {Error Domain=BOSErrorDomain Code=204 "An error occurred during preflight." UserInfo=0x60000241c780 (not displayed)}, NSLocalizedDescription=bridgeOS prepare failed, target_update=21G83}}}}}

Furthermore, every time I ran the software updater or command line updates, it seemed to download a new version of the update (thus taking up GB space quickly). Today, I ran 3 times in total and it's taking up almost 50GB of my disk space. Where is the folder which the installer files being stored? Where should I look to delete the installer files?

Any help with regard to solving the update problem and/or deletion of updater files would be much appreciated! Thank you in advance.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Aug 17, 2022 1:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 17, 2022 4:03 PM

Correct myself - Apple Did Release a version 12.5.1 today. My Bad for earlier posting

Adjust the previous command to read below

softwareupdate --fetch-full-installer --full-installer-version 12.5.1

As for Why the update are not common down

There are factors:

1 - Like poor Wifi connection

2 - Slow wifi connection

3 - Too many other people downloading at the same time and Apple Severs are overloaded

4 - Software on the computer interfering with the download process including AntiVirus Software

Notation: Disabling the AV Software may or may not solve the issue. Removal of the AV Software may increase the chances of the download to perform as expected.

5 - Running behind a VPN which may increase Packet losses or corruption of the download 

6 - If via wifi too many Other devices using the wifi at the same time reducing the Bandwidth to your computer. 

7 - Best Results are via Ethernet Cable to Router

8 - Restart in Safe Mode. This will perform a Disk Repair, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts. The boot up will be slow and can take some time - Normal and Try Again using the Software Update Applet in System Preferences 

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 17, 2022 4:03 PM in response to teddybearlove

Correct myself - Apple Did Release a version 12.5.1 today. My Bad for earlier posting

Adjust the previous command to read below

softwareupdate --fetch-full-installer --full-installer-version 12.5.1

As for Why the update are not common down

There are factors:

1 - Like poor Wifi connection

2 - Slow wifi connection

3 - Too many other people downloading at the same time and Apple Severs are overloaded

4 - Software on the computer interfering with the download process including AntiVirus Software

Notation: Disabling the AV Software may or may not solve the issue. Removal of the AV Software may increase the chances of the download to perform as expected.

5 - Running behind a VPN which may increase Packet losses or corruption of the download 

6 - If via wifi too many Other devices using the wifi at the same time reducing the Bandwidth to your computer. 

7 - Best Results are via Ethernet Cable to Router

8 - Restart in Safe Mode. This will perform a Disk Repair, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts. The boot up will be slow and can take some time - Normal and Try Again using the Software Update Applet in System Preferences 

Aug 17, 2022 2:29 PM in response to teddybearlove

Check in the Applications folder for the Application called " Install Monterey "

Judging from your above, there might be several Applications by the same Name with an Appended number to each.

Thought, it looks very Off to me " Downloading macOS Monterey 12.5.1"

If that is accurate - the above command is downloading a BETA Version which would imply this computer is part of and Enrolled in Beta Testing

PS - Proper command I have used often is for Public Released version of Monterey 12.5 as per below

softwareupdate --fetch-full-installer --full-installer-version 12.5

Unable to Update from Monterey 12.3 to 12.5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.