Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why won't my iphone accept my macbook password when signing in to appleid again

Got notification on my iPhone 13 (running latest iOS 15.6.1) that I needed to re-sign in to my AppleID for "some account services." Entered AppleID PW, successfully entered verification code from other device. But, when entering the pw for my work macbook - it says "incorrect password."

I've restarted everything and applied updates on my work machine to macOS 12.5.1. Still, no luck

I did enter pw (same I've tried on my iPhone) on laptop successfully.

What could be causing this? How can I get past it?

iPhone 13

Posted on Aug 18, 2022 8:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 19, 2022 5:05 AM

That’s what I was doing.

Was able to solve this issue by using an old password for my MacBook - changed over 8 months ago.

Seems to be a bug in the AppleID verification system…or password storage. Nevertheless, not confidence inspiring.

2 replies

Aug 19, 2022 1:55 AM in response to smorrison0

But, when entering the pw for my work macbook - it says "incorrect password."

Your Mac login password is not the same as your Apple ID Password.

See -> Learn how passwords are used on Mac

Learn how passwords are used on Mac – Apple Support (UK)

You are sign in here .  .  .  with your Apple ID & Password.

Your Apple ID is the personal account you use with all Apple products and services. It includes the email address and password you use to sign in, as well as the contact, payment, and security details that you use with Apple.

You can’t merge multiple Apple ID accounts.

What happens when you use the same Apple ID & Password that you use to sign in here?

why won't my iphone accept my macbook password when signing in to appleid again

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.