Newsroom Update

New features come to Apple services this fall. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Fotos auf einer Festplatte speichern, aber sie sollen dennoch in der App Fotos vorhanden sein

Wie kann ich den Speicherort meiner Fotos auf dem iMac auf die Festplatte ändern, die Fotos sollen aber dennoch in der App Fotos vorhanden sein.

iMac (24-inch, M1, 2021, 2 ports)

Posted on Aug 19, 2022 4:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 20, 2022 10:10 AM

Google translation:

How do I change the location of my photos on iMac to the hard drive but still want the photos to be in the Photos app.

Are you referring to converting your library to a "referenced" library or just want to move your library to the external hard drive and operate it from there.

If it's the latter just drag the library to the external drive (it's best to have an SSD formatted as APFS if you want to run your library from the drive) and open it from there. Once you've verified that the library is working as expected you can delete the library from your Pictures folder. The Photos app will still be managing the photos but they will be on the EHD. This Apple document describes it in more detail: Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support. Also read this user tip: Where is it safe to store a Photos Library - 2019 Version

If it's the former, i.e. a "referenced" library, it's strongly not recommended to do that. Running a reference library is a recipe for disaster. Once you're running a "managed" library it's very difficult and time comsuming to convert it to a reference library and you would lose all of the organizational effort you put into the managed library. This user tip describes the disadvantages: Disadvantages of a Referenced Library in Photos

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 20, 2022 10:10 AM in response to Dkdkdkekeke

Google translation:

How do I change the location of my photos on iMac to the hard drive but still want the photos to be in the Photos app.

Are you referring to converting your library to a "referenced" library or just want to move your library to the external hard drive and operate it from there.

If it's the latter just drag the library to the external drive (it's best to have an SSD formatted as APFS if you want to run your library from the drive) and open it from there. Once you've verified that the library is working as expected you can delete the library from your Pictures folder. The Photos app will still be managing the photos but they will be on the EHD. This Apple document describes it in more detail: Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support. Also read this user tip: Where is it safe to store a Photos Library - 2019 Version

If it's the former, i.e. a "referenced" library, it's strongly not recommended to do that. Running a reference library is a recipe for disaster. Once you're running a "managed" library it's very difficult and time comsuming to convert it to a reference library and you would lose all of the organizational effort you put into the managed library. This user tip describes the disadvantages: Disadvantages of a Referenced Library in Photos

Fotos auf einer Festplatte speichern, aber sie sollen dennoch in der App Fotos vorhanden sein

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.