Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

15.6.1 security update failed

Hi, got the update notice for my mac; tried to install, says it failed.

Now when I click on software update, it only says Your mac is up to date -- mac os catalina 10.15.7

nothing about the 15.6.1

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 19, 2022 7:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 20, 2022 9:49 AM

"rik229 Said:

"15.6.1 security update failed: Thanks for your suggestion --"

-------

You are welcome. Read the following...

What Reinstalling Does:

Q1. "I'm not even sure it's properly installed in my recovery disk. I could end up with Yosemite again!"

A1. Reinstalling does not negatively affect items, nor will it result in a downgrade. Sometimes, update do not go through 100% as intended, and reinstalling a macOS will get things back to how they should be, which is what reinstalling the macOS is all about.

Avoid Scams on New Macs:

Q2. "I'm also leaving in two weeks and will be gone (with my computer shut off) for four months. When I get back I plan to get a new computer"

A2. If you plan to get a used Mac, have the user perform as instructed on this link, including the iCloud logout (so you can use Migration Assistant): What to do Before you Sell, Give Away, or Trade in your Mac - Apple Support. If they do not log out of iCloud, then it will be useless to you.

Why to Install Updates:

Q3. "Is this recent security fix all that important, or can it just wait till I get back? How do the hackers get access to our computer? Are there certain websites to avoid? thanks ;-)"

A3. No one is going to hack your Mac. If anything could be hacked, its an iPhone (because they can be jailbroken when purchased). Note that security updates should be installed, as they contact secure measures (for things like bugs, inoperability, and incompatibility). If you plan to sell it, then let things stand, storing it in a safe location while you are gone. When you get back, use the link I've just provided.

Similar questions

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 20, 2022 9:49 AM in response to rik229

"rik229 Said:

"15.6.1 security update failed: Thanks for your suggestion --"

-------

You are welcome. Read the following...

What Reinstalling Does:

Q1. "I'm not even sure it's properly installed in my recovery disk. I could end up with Yosemite again!"

A1. Reinstalling does not negatively affect items, nor will it result in a downgrade. Sometimes, update do not go through 100% as intended, and reinstalling a macOS will get things back to how they should be, which is what reinstalling the macOS is all about.

Avoid Scams on New Macs:

Q2. "I'm also leaving in two weeks and will be gone (with my computer shut off) for four months. When I get back I plan to get a new computer"

A2. If you plan to get a used Mac, have the user perform as instructed on this link, including the iCloud logout (so you can use Migration Assistant): What to do Before you Sell, Give Away, or Trade in your Mac - Apple Support. If they do not log out of iCloud, then it will be useless to you.

Why to Install Updates:

Q3. "Is this recent security fix all that important, or can it just wait till I get back? How do the hackers get access to our computer? Are there certain websites to avoid? thanks ;-)"

A3. No one is going to hack your Mac. If anything could be hacked, its an iPhone (because they can be jailbroken when purchased). Note that security updates should be installed, as they contact secure measures (for things like bugs, inoperability, and incompatibility). If you plan to sell it, then let things stand, storing it in a safe location while you are gone. When you get back, use the link I've just provided.

Aug 20, 2022 9:47 AM in response to rik229

rik229 Said:

"15.6.1 security update failed: thanks, since this update is not showing up, maybe I can turn off safari, and just use chrome and firefox -- will that protect me?"

-------

You are Welcome.

For Thought...

Set this Up Anew:

Safari is used for macOS items such as update installations. So, I'd say just set this Mac up anew, as if you were to sell it. This might fix this. In the mean time, use what I use: Lyon Browser by Brave. See my User Tip: How to Reinstall the macOS Anew - No TMB Prior to Upgrade - User Tip. Format the hard drive with the applicable macOS, on step D.

In Depth:

Pretty much, it is a matter of:

1. Erasing: and formatting your hard drive to APFS
  2. Installing: [the applicable macOS] via a USB Bootable Installer
  3. Restoring: info from a Time Machine Backup, using Migration Assistant

Aug 19, 2022 9:38 PM in response to rik229

rik229 Said:

"No that's not right -- I already updated to Catalina 10.15.7: I was trying to get the most recent security update for safari, 15.6.1, which Apple sent out an announcement about. I got it on my phone, but it failed on my Mac."

-------

All is Fine:

This is the most recent update, as of this reply. See here: Apple Security Updates - Apple Support

Screenshot:

Aug 20, 2022 9:26 AM in response to rik229

rik229 Said:

"15.6.1 security update failed: p.s. hmm this says 15.6.1 is for iOS, not mac: https://www.techlicious.com/blog/update-to-ios-ipados-15-6-1-macos-12-5-1-now/ -- latest mac update is for Monterey, 12.5.1 so maybe that’s why it fails on my old computer, which cannot take Monterey?

Does that mean Catalina is not as vulnerable?"

-------

Click Here: Safari 15.6.1

Apple Select Update List:

Aug 19, 2022 9:52 PM in response to rik229

rik229 Said:

"15.6.1 security update failed: So my question is: how do I get that new security update for 15.6.1, since it's no longer showing up as an option when I click on software update?"

-------

Getting the Latest Safari Update:

Start Here: Update to the Latest Version of Safari - Apple Support

No success?

Reinstall the macOS:

Nothing would be lost. It's just that misplaced items would be placed back to where they should be and corrupt system files would be replaced by clean files. Go Here: Reinstall macOS - Apple Support. Use the third bulleted method: [command + r].  Important: Prior to installing an update or performing a reinstallation, to prevent data loss, be sure to Back up your Mac with Time Machine.

Aug 19, 2022 8:00 PM in response to rik229

rik229 Said:

"15.6.1 security update failed: Hi, got the update notice for my mac; tried to install, says it failed. Now when I click on software update, it only says Your mac is up to date -- mac os catalina 10.15.7 nothing about the 15.6.1"

-------

About Updating a Mac:

I. Revealing the Installed Version:

• Go to: Apple Menu
  • Select: About This Mac
  • View: the Top Item

II. What Update Installs:

When updating a macOS, then latest update will install. So, what do you see when viewing About This Mac?

Aug 19, 2022 9:09 PM in response to rik229

rik229 Said:

"15.6.1 security update failed: the same thing: it only says Your mac is up to date -- mac os catalina 10.15.7

nothing about the 15.6.1"

-------

Updating to the Latest is Best:

If I am understanding you correctly, you do not want to have macOS 10.15.7 installed. Is that correct?

Installing the latest update for a still-supported macOS, if theoretically the best route to take. Updates contain secure features, bug fixes, and such. All of where are reported by users through Apple's use of their feedback site. So, they will always be there, so long as the device's OS is supported.

Aug 19, 2022 9:24 PM in response to TheLittles

No that's not right -- I already updated to Catalina 10.15.7

I was trying to get the most recent security update for safari, 15.6.1, which Apple sent out an announcement about. I got it on my phone, but it failed on my Mac.

But when I click on software update, there's nothing about the recent 15.6.1 security update -- it just says Your mac is up to date -- (meaning it already has mac os catalina 10.15.7 )

Aug 20, 2022 8:41 AM in response to TheLittles

Thanks for your suggestion --

However I'm a little nervous to try this -- My computer is a late 2012 Mac, supposed to support Catalina -- but when I went from Yosemite to Catalina, I think something happened because I did not get the Catalina-based update for Pages; and I'm always getting reminders to log into iCloud (even tho' iCloud appears to already be working). So I'm not even sure it's properly installed in my recovery disk. I could end up with Yosemite again!

I'm also leaving in two weeks and will be gone (with my computer shut off) for four months. When I get back I plan to get a new computer. However in the meantime I have several work meetings and other tasks to take care of; other than this security udate, everything seems to be working okay, and I don't want to end up with a big mess before I leave; and I don't have time to set up a new computer in the meantime.

Is this recent security fix all that important, or can it just wait till I get back? How do the hackers get access to our computer? Are there certain websites to avoid?

thanks ;-)

15.6.1 security update failed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.