Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Just upgraded macOS from 12.5 to 12.5.1 and system hangs on login screen.

Just upgraded OSX from 12.5 to 12.5.1 and system hangs on login screen when trying to log into user account (with home directory mapped to external USB disk - /dev/disk2). I can log in to admin user account (home directory on internal flash drive of Mac mini 2018, i3, 8 GB RAM, 128 GB HD).

Running Disk Utility / First Aid finds no problems with either disk.

MacMini2018:~ joe$ diskutil list

/dev/disk0 (internal, physical):

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: GUID_partition_scheme *121.3 GB disk0

1: EFI ⁨EFI⁩ 314.6 MB disk0s1

2: Apple_APFS ⁨Container disk1⁩ 121.0 GB disk0s2

/dev/disk1 (synthesized):

0: APFS Container Scheme - +121.0 GB disk1

Physical Store disk0s2

1: APFS Volume ⁨Macintosh HD - Data⁩ 41.5 GB disk1s1

2: APFS Volume ⁨Preboot⁩ 392.6 MB disk1s2

3: APFS Volume ⁨Recovery⁩ 1.1 GB disk1s3

4: APFS Volume ⁨VM⁩ 1.1 GB disk1s4

5: APFS Volume ⁨Macintosh HD⁩ 15.4 GB disk1s5

6: APFS Snapshot ⁨com.apple.os.update-...⁩ 15.4 GB disk1s5s1

/dev/disk2 (external, physical):

0: GUID_partition_scheme *2.0 TB disk2

1: EFI ⁨EFI⁩ 209.7 MB disk2s1

2: Apple_HFS ⁨LaCie⁩ 2.0 TB disk2s2

(free space) 134.3 MB -

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Mac mini, macOS 12.5

Posted on Aug 20, 2022 12:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 20, 2022 11:24 AM

farbanti76 wrote:

My understanding is that, at this point, I need to pay for "Apple Support" (on an out of warranty computer like this). I was hoping for some: 1) confirmation that this might be a result of the recent update to 12.5.1, or 2) some better understanding of how the remapping to external drives works for user accounts so I could better troubleshoot what may just be a pointer issue.

I would run the Disk First Aid...

Boot into Internet Recovery (Option Command R) and from the dropdown menu: Utilities>  Disk Utility> run the First Aid on your Macintosh HD (and the "Macintosh HD-Data" volume as well if Catalina/Big Sur/Monterey) If errors are found and repaired, run again until no errors reported.

Disk Utility>View>Show All Devices The best sequence is —

Volume level

Container level

Parent drive

How to repair a Mac disk with Disk Utility

How to repair a Mac disk with Disk Utility - Apple Support

If no issue found then I would contact Apple Support here— Get Support

In or out of warranty you can get a free over the counter 'Apple Service Diagnostics' test /assessment

Make an appointment for a "hardware issue"

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Outside the USA

Find Locations - Apple

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 20, 2022 11:24 AM in response to farbanti76

farbanti76 wrote:

My understanding is that, at this point, I need to pay for "Apple Support" (on an out of warranty computer like this). I was hoping for some: 1) confirmation that this might be a result of the recent update to 12.5.1, or 2) some better understanding of how the remapping to external drives works for user accounts so I could better troubleshoot what may just be a pointer issue.

I would run the Disk First Aid...

Boot into Internet Recovery (Option Command R) and from the dropdown menu: Utilities>  Disk Utility> run the First Aid on your Macintosh HD (and the "Macintosh HD-Data" volume as well if Catalina/Big Sur/Monterey) If errors are found and repaired, run again until no errors reported.

Disk Utility>View>Show All Devices The best sequence is —

Volume level

Container level

Parent drive

How to repair a Mac disk with Disk Utility

How to repair a Mac disk with Disk Utility - Apple Support

If no issue found then I would contact Apple Support here— Get Support

In or out of warranty you can get a free over the counter 'Apple Service Diagnostics' test /assessment

Make an appointment for a "hardware issue"

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Outside the USA

Find Locations - Apple

Aug 23, 2022 9:10 AM in response to farbanti76

Exactly the same issue here with an iMac 2020 and a Samsung EVO SSD connected via USB. It looks like there are now 2 volumes associated with the SSD. The one with the original name has only a small portion of the home directory with some log files. The majority of the content sits in a separate volume with - 1 added to the name. Stupid workaround:

1. Change the home directory path for the user to the - 1 volume. You still can‘t logon directly and get an error message.
  2. Log on to the user with home on internal SSD - then switch to the other user and you are in.

That‘s not sustainable. Would be nice to get a fix from Apple. Otherwise, i‘ll build the user again from scratch with home on internal SSD and only some content on external SSD.

I din‘t find any hints that the drive is corrupt.

Aug 20, 2022 8:22 AM in response to farbanti76

farbanti76 wrote:

Just upgraded OSX from 12.5 to 12.5.1 and system hangs on login screen when trying to log into user account (with home directory mapped to external USB disk - /dev/disk2). I can log in to admin user account (home directory on internal flash drive of Mac mini 2018, i3, 8 GB RAM, 128 GB HD).

Running Disk Utility / First Aid finds no problems with either disk.

MacMini2018:~ joe$ diskutil list
/dev/disk0 (internal, physical):
0: GUID_partition_scheme *121.3 GB disk0
1: EFI ⁨EFI⁩ 314.6 MB disk0s1
2: Apple_APFS ⁨Container disk1⁩ 121.0 GB disk0s2

/dev/disk1 (synthesized):
0: APFS Container Scheme - +121.0 GB disk1
Physical Store disk0s2
1: APFS Volume ⁨Macintosh HD - Data⁩ 41.5 GB disk1s1
2: APFS Volume ⁨Preboot⁩ 392.6 MB disk1s2
3: APFS Volume ⁨Recovery⁩ 1.1 GB disk1s3
4: APFS Volume ⁨VM⁩ 1.1 GB disk1s4
5: APFS Volume ⁨Macintosh HD⁩ 15.4 GB disk1s5
6: APFS Snapshot ⁨com.apple.os.update-...⁩ 15.4 GB disk1s5s1

/dev/disk2 (external, physical):
0: GUID_partition_scheme *2.0 TB disk2
1: EFI ⁨EFI⁩ 209.7 MB disk2s1
2: Apple_HFS ⁨LaCie⁩ 2.0 TB disk2s2
(free space) 134.3 MB -

Have you rebooted more than once since your point update..?

If no resolve I would do a complete shut down and restart the Mac and compare your results.

If no insight or resolve—

Call Customer Support (800) MY–APPLE (800–692–7753)

or on line Apple Support

Aug 20, 2022 10:33 AM in response to farbanti76

Aug 20, 2022 3:50 PM in response to leroydouglas

I think I mentioned in my initial question that Disk Utility / First Aid finds no problems on any of the disks. A case with Apple support has been started. (Also tried running from terminal with "diskutil repair..."); re-indexing the disk did not help. Just to re-affirm that the disk and files on it are accessible with no problem when I log into the second user account (which is rooted on the system disk and has admin privileges).

[Personal Information Edited by Moderator]

Aug 23, 2022 10:21 PM in response to Cromforder

Yesterday I noticed that the mount-point for the external disk had changed and log files had been stored in the directory associated with the original mount-point (on the system disk), forcing subsequent mounts of the external disk to get rooted in a new directory (not the one associated with the user account).

While the disk itself is still named "LaCie", it is not mounted on a point called "LaCie 1".

Originally the 'tv' user account had been pointed to its home directory:

/Volumes/LaCie/Users/tv

Somehow, after the update, the mount point for the disk (disk name: LaCie) got changed to:

/Volumes/LaCie 1/Users/tv

[

MacMini2018:~ joe$ mount

/dev/disk1s5s1 on / (apfs, sealed, local, read-only, journaled)

/dev/disk2s2 on /Volumes/LaCie 1 (hfs, local, nodev, nosuid, journaled)

]

And a lot of log files were stored under "/Volumes/LaCie/Users/tv" (in the user's Library hierarchy on the internal system disk) with names: "dccd-2022-08-19-120521.ips" (trailing numbers incremented).

Dismounting the external LaCie disk caused the removal of the mount point directory "/Volumes/LaCie 1/".

Then removing the user account (files on external disk did not go away), erasing the log files and the physical directory tree containing them (rooted in directory "/Volumes/LaCie/" ... which allowed the external disk to get mounted at the expected location, re-creating the user account, resetting the home directory in the advanced settings for the user account to the real location "/Volumes/LaCie/Users/tv" seems to have restored this user's ability to log in. (Some additional file ownership issues were updated with "chown tv:staff xxFileNames" (but I don't know if that really made a difference since I am not sure if that changed with the update or before).

Aug 26, 2022 1:15 AM in response to farbanti76

Many thanks farbanti76 - this worked for me! :-)

Took an even simpler approach: Kept the user, logged in as admin (with home on internal SSD), unmounted external SSD, deleted the folder structure with log files, restart) > all good so far - user can log in with no problems as before. Didn't discover the need to make further adjustments to permissions but will see ...

Just upgraded macOS from 12.5 to 12.5.1 and system hangs on login screen.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.